PETCHES FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139047

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Statutory Address: PETCHES FARMHOUSE, PETCHES BRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PETCHES FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139047 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 15:47:17.

Location

Statutory Address: PETCHES FARMHOUSE, PETCHES BRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Finchingfield

National Grid Reference: TL 69770 31774

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 63 SE FINCHINGFIELD PETCHES BRIDGE ROAD (west side)

3/70 Petches Farmhouse 2.5.55

- II

House. Circa 1300 and late C15, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. A manor house of complex and unusual plan. (1) 4-bay 2-storey range, c.1300, aligned NE-SW, with early C17 internal stack near the middle (2) parallel staircase hall to SE, C17 and later (3) parallel 3- bay 2-storey wing to SE, late C15, with jetty to SIi, and early C17 external stack at side (4) 2-bay open hall, late C15, to SE of SW end. Single-storey lean-to extensions to SE and in E angle. The house now faces NE, but the jetty suggests that originally it faced SW. 2 storeys, and hall of one storey with attics. NE elevation, 3 C20 casements on ground floor, 5 on first floor, of which one is in a gabled dormer. C20 door. 4 twisted octagonal shafts on main stack, restored. The interior of the NW range has unjowled posts, bridging beams with chamfered fillets, splayed and undersquinted scarfs in one wallplate and the collar-purlin, and crownpost roof with braces of wide section up to the collar-purlin and down to the tiebeams, incomplete. This is a strange building, and it has been suggested that originally it formed a first-floor hall. The 3- bay range, of similar length, has chamfered beams, heavy joists of wide section jointed to them with unrefined soffit tenons, and a crownpost roof with thin axial braces only, some missing. The hall has a side-purlin roof with conspicuous arched wind-bracing; the central tiebeam and braces to it have been removed. There are 2 early ledged 3-plank doors, one on its original strap- hinges, and one upper room is lined with early C17 oak panelling. RCHM 8.

Listing NGR: TL6977031774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115212

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing