RED BARNS HOUSE AND RED BARNS HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1139613
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
RED BARNS HOUSE AND RED BARNS HOTEL, KIRKLEATHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of RED BARNS HOUSE AND RED BARNS HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139613.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 09:32:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
RED BARNS HOUSE AND RED BARNS HOTEL, KIRKLEATHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 59668 24923

Details

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM STREET, NZ 52 SE south side 4/82 Red Barns House and Red Barns Hotel. - II*

Large house, 1868-70 by Philip Webb, for Thomas Hugh Bell; stables added 1875-76 and west extension 1881-82, also by Webb. Stable extended c.1900. West extension and stables now an hotel. Handmade multicoloured reddish brick in English bond; clay pantile roofs. Georgian vernacular revival style. 2 storeys and attics, 6 bays, the right end bay a projecting cross-gabled 1881 wing, now part of hotel; and lower 2-storey, 3-bay further right stable and extensions. 2nd bay of original house has gabled covered way, with later iron gate, leading to inset porch with round window; boarded door in right return of porch. Another round window on first floor of 3rd bay; other window sashes, with glazing bars and segmental heads, double at ground floor in 5th bay. First-floor sill string. 3rd bay raised to 3 storeys, with square-headed window and hipped roof. Main roof hipped at left, has slightly-overhanging eaves. Similar but irregular fenestration in right end bay with coped gable, and in stable and extensions. Asymmetrically-placed transverse and axial stacks. Left return shows canted bay window under tiled projecting gable overhanging at sides; and 2 hipped roof dormers with casements. Rear garden front has 3-bay main house at right, with altered projecting drawing-room and narrow gabled left linking bay to projecting west extension. A one-storey corridor projection links all 3 parts; and there are one-storey west extensions. Similar fenestration to front, and 2 tripartite windows in west block whose roof is raised to a pyramidal shape, with central stack, and has sprocketed eaves. Former stables,altered and partly concealed by later extensions, retain original raised, pyramidal-roofed lantern. Interior: house part retains panelling, shutters and plain boarded staircase. History: plaque on north of west wing : GERTRUDE LOWTHIAN BELL AT ONE TIME LIVED IN THIS HOUSE. SCHOLAR, TRAVELLER, ADMINISTRATOR AND PEACE MAKER. A FRIEND OF THE ARABS. Of special architectural interest in showing Philip Webb's transition to a local vernacular style. Altered and extended former stables included for group value. Late C20 one-storey extension is not of interest.

Listing NGR: NZ5966824923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60338
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/11888/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].