CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1139614
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, REDCAR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139614 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 13:34:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, REDCAR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 60852 24978

Details

REDCAR REDCAR LANE east side NZ 62 SW 5/83 Church of St. Peter 8.7.85 - II

Church 1822/28, by Ignatius Bonomi; 5th bay of nave, 1848; chancel, chapels and vestries, 1899/1929 by Moscrop. Restored and altered by R. Simms 1978. Dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roofs. Nave, aisled chancel, south and east vestries, west tower, and boiler-house on south side of tower. Gothick. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses with offsets, terminating in 4 embattled octagonal turrets rising above embattled parapet. Renewed glazed west door in chamfered 4-centred surround, under squared hoodmould. Similar surround to window in 2nd stage. Trefoil-headed 2-light bell openings with louvres, those in south and west faces altered; clock faces in north and west openings. 5-bay nave has plain plinth and offset buttresses rising to embattled parapet above string course. Western bays have windows above north and south doorways in chamfered surrounds, under squared hoodmoulds continued as sill strings. South doorway blocked; north doorway holds renewed glazed door. All openings have 4-centred heads. Windows have chamfered mullions and transoms, trefoil-headed upper lights, battered sills and renewed leaded glazing. Similar windows in west wall of nave. 2-bay chancel, slightly higher than nave, and flat-roofed aisles and vestries. Interior: 2-tier queenpost roof with moulded queenposts, arched braces and angle struts to lower, exposed parts of trusses. Panelled ceiling above lower collars. Panelled barrel roof in chancel has painted and gilded bosses. Chamfered, pointed chancel arch, similar flanking arches to chapels, and 2-bay chancel arcades. West gallery with painted panelled front. Reredos, 1939 by Leslie Moore, made by Thompson (Kilburn), has carved traceried heads and ornamental surrounds to 7 painted and gilded panels of saints, the Virgin and infant Christ. Flanked by linenfold panelling. Stained glass in east window by H. Grylls 1939. The church is of importance as a local landmark.

Listing NGR: NZ6085224978

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60340
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12107/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].