BOUNDARY WALL TO PARISH CHURCH HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139798

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-2012

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL TO PARISH CHURCH HALL, BOW STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY WALL TO PARISH CHURCH HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139798 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:16:29.

Location

Statutory Address: BOUNDARY WALL TO PARISH CHURCH HALL, BOW STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Guisborough

National Grid Reference: NZ6154515945

Summary

Boundary wall to former Gisborough Old Hall and Gisborough Priory Gardens. Late-C17/early-C18 with C19 alterations.

Reasons for Designation

The late-C17/early-C18 boundary wall to the Parish Church Hall is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens * Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth * Date: for its retention of pre-1840, most probably pre-1700, fabric

History

The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed.

These walls form the western boundary of the Old Hall’s plot. The entrance to the hall itself was situated in a section of wall further south, now demolished, the rectangular footprint of which projected over Bow Street. The current entrance appears to have been inserted some time after 1854. The wall once surrounded the area on which the Church Hall now sits to the north, east and south; this was an area of parterres to the north of the Old Hall. The section of wall which extended east-north-east from immediately north of the current entrance once joined up to the Terrace retaining wall (list entry 1139801, Grade II).

Details

MATERIALS: dressed sandstone with flat coping stones.

PLAN: aligned north-north-west to south-south-east, fronting onto Bow Street.

DESCRIPTION: the wall has curved reveals to the centre, accessing the Church Hall. There is a plinth to the north part. The southern section merges with the wall of Priory Garden Cottage, designated separately (Grade II, list entry 1311072).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59902

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gisborough Priory Project, , The Lost Gardens of Gisborough Priory, (2008)
Other
Reid Jubb Brown Partnership for Gisborough Priory Project, The Strategic and Operational Plan for the Gisborough Priory Gardens, May 2006,

End of official listing