GARDEN WALL, 65 METRES TO EAST OF PRIORY GARDENS COTTAGE
List Entry Summary
Name: GARDEN WALL, 65 METRES TO EAST OF PRIORY GARDENS COTTAGE
List entry Number: 1139800
GARDEN WALL, 65 METRES TO EAST OF PRIORY GARDENS COTTAGE, BOW STREET
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Redcar and Cleveland
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 25-Apr-1984
Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-2012
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
List entry Description
Summary of Building
Former boundary wall to Gisborough Priory Gardens. Late-C17/early-C18 with mid-C19 alterations.
Reasons for Designation
The late-C17/early-C18 garden wall 65m to the east of Priory Gardens Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens * Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth * Date: for its retention of pre-1840, most probably pre-1700, fabric
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed. The standing stonework of the Priory was incorporated into the ornamental gardens to provide a setting to the Hall. Research into the gardens has identified three main phases; 1709, 1773-1805 and 1854.
The western section of this wall appears to have been in existence in 1709, surrounding an area of lawn and trees, however the relationship to the extant wall is not entirely clear. The materials do however suggest a late-C17 / early-C18 date. The current alignment is evident on plans of 1854, although a section which once ran south-east from the extant wall’s western end has been lost. The entrance lined up with a sinuous path and the eastern end terminated at the boundary of Island Pond during this period.
MATERIALS: dressed sandstone with stone copings.
PLAN: aligned west-south-west to east-north-east. The easternmost section turns east.
DESCRIPTION: the western section was obscured by foliage and was not visible at the time of inspection. The entrance incorporates curved reveals.
Books and journals
Gisborough Priory Project, , The Lost Gardens of Gisborough Priory, (2008)
Reid Jubb Brown Partnership for Gisborough Priory Project, The Strategic and Operational Plan for the Gisborough Priory Gardens, May 2006,
National Grid Reference: NZ6165115910
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139800 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:47:47.
End of official listing