Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140073.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:28:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 35880 69644



8/17 Church of St. Mary



Parish Church, consecrated in 1438. Nave possibly slightly earlier. Nave heightened and clerestory added when tower, south aisle, south porch and north aisle added. Patron Nicholas Assheton. Restored by J P St. Aubyn in 1858. Further north aisle added by J D Sedding in 1882. Tower and bells burnt out in 1895. Ashlar granite masonry with set back buttresses at corners and stepped buttresses between windows. Slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one. Separate roof over south aisle which is shorter than chancel. North aisle continues in line with chancel. Added north aisle is extended by late C19 vestry in line with chancel. Moulded granite string continues along south aisle, south porch and east end of earlier north aisle. Distinct break with chancel and tower. Later north aisle reuses much of C15 stonework from demolished north wall of earlier north aisle. West wall of later north aisle with late C19 rusticated granite blocks. Battlemented parapet throughout. Tower with polyphant and freestone dressings. South aisle; east window of 3-lights with Perpendicular tracery partly restored, with eroded top lights. Three 3-light Perpendicular windows on south with wide 2-centred arches, hoods and drips. East window on south side of aisle has eroded tracery, and higher cill level, over small priest's doorway with chamfered 2-centred arch. To left on south side of south aisle a polygonal rood stair turret with battelements and string courses. Window to west with original tracery and partly renewed jambs. Further west C19 tracery. West window of south aisle of 2-lights in 2-centred arch with C19 tracery. Original right-hand jambs and mullions. Chancel; south window, 3-light Perpendicular with C19 mullions and tracery. Earlier tracery at top eroded. East window C19 5-light Perpendicular tracery with earlier jambs. C19 hoodmould and angels heads in drips. North aisle; earlier east window, 3-light Perpendicular in wide 2-centred arch with hood and rosettes in drips. West window of 2-lights, Perpendicular, partly restored with C19 hood and drips. Clerestory windows of nave, visible only from interior, positioned in spandrels of arcade. Of 2-lights with cusped heads and mouchettes above. Later north aisle. Datestone 18 + 82 on buttress in north east corner. North aisle east window partly blocked on exterior by vestry in north east corner. North wall with four 3-light Perpendicular windows below wide 2-centred arches. Tracery mostly C19 with some earlier eroded work. Some mullions and jambs resued. North door slightly protrudes into second window under C19 Tudor arch with C19 rectangular hood and plain drips. 4-light C19 Perpendicular window in west of north aisle. West tower of 3 stages with battlemented and coped parapet. Stepped, set back buttresses on first and second stage. Top stage with octagonal turrets on corners and winged angels used as corbel brackets at base. Surmounted by pinnacles and crocketted finials. West door with polyphant stone dressings to wide 2 centred arch with moulded arch and jambs. C19 hood. Above, 4-light window, 1896, with perpendicular tracery. Double relieving arch above. On east side of tower, in second stage, 2-light window with cusped heads. Base slightly blocked by ridge of roof. 3-light louvered belfry openings on four faces under 4-centred arches with hoods and drips. Vestry in north east corner. Lower battlemented parapet and moulded string. 5-light C19 window in rectangular opening on east wall. South porch; battlemented parapet continues at a lower level on exterior. 2-centred arch to door with moulded jambs and engaged piers with rounded caps. South door with 2- centred cavetto moulded arch and jambs with run-out stops on right. Circa C16 timber studded door with plain strap hinges and early closing ring. Resited figure in niche above. Remains of holy water stoup on east wall. Original waggon roof (restored in 1933) to nave with carved bosses and moulded ribs. Small carved stone brackets supporting arcade plate. Original flat roof to south porch with carved bosses and moulded ribs. Small stone carved supporting brackets. 5 bay arcade to south aisle and 6 bay arcade to earlier north aisle. Ellipitical arches with hollow chamfers and type B (Pevsner) granite piers. Rounded bases and plain rounded caps, with slightly deeper abacii on south aisle. Easternmost arch of north arcade slightly lower and more pointed over alabaster effigy. Later north aisle with 5 bay arcade with type A (Pevsner) granite piers and 4 centred arches. C15 tower arch splayed and moulded on both sides with double relieveing arch. Rood loft stairs on south wall. Entrance to stair beneath 3-centred arch. Upper opening with chamfered jambs and segmental arch. Furnishings: nave, north and south aisle reseated in 1859. Later north aisle, 1882. Ornate base to parclose screen 1882 enclosing chancel on north, south and west. Carved screen above on north and south with ornate carved cornice. Reredos erected in memory of Rev. John Shaw (rector 1887-1906). Carved oak super-reredos erected 1919. Early altar table in south aisle comprising granite mensa with cyma recta moulded edge. Later supports. Pulpit also erected to memory of Rev. John Shaw. Carved oak. Piscina in south aisle at east end of south wall. Ogee head with cusping, blocked to rear. Norman pedestal font with round bowl on later octagonal base of granite blocks. Bowl with rope work at waist and 4 figure heads at corners. Decorated on 4 sides with palmettes and crosses. Locking flat octagonal cover of timber and wrought iron. Monuments; Between chancel and north aisle, beneath east arch of north arcade, recumbent alabaster effigy in armour of Sir Robert Willoughby, 1st Lord Willoughby de Broke who died in 1502. Steward of Duchy and held manor of Kellyland (Callington). Held manor house of Bere Ferrers as favourite seat. Effigy, gartered wearing mantle of order of the Garter. Feet resting on dog with bedesmen beneath soles of feet. On moulded base decorated with heraldic shields and moulded cornice. Brass resited in chancel aisle. To Nicholas Assheton of Callington, a justice of The Common Pleas 1444, sometime MP for Helston, Launceston and the county 1422-37 and patron of the church, with his wife Margaret and 5 sons and 6 daughters, 1465. Assheton is dressed in judicial costume. 4 shields of arms and the 2 groups of children have been removed. Margin inscription with 12 elegiac verses below. Slate stones on exterior of church; south wall of chancel, to William Ramsey 1730 and to William and Elizabeth Ramsey 1726. On east wall of porch, in memory of Ann and Joan Holliday (signed W Nichol 1810). Glass; Later north aisle east window, memorial to Thornton family and several parishoners. Stained glass window with figures of St. Peter, St. Paul and the 4 evangelists. Below, 6 carved stone figures with 6 carved stone panels. Dedication plaque to right. Some reset early glass in west window of south aisle. Kellys Directory 1901 Rev H. Haines A Manual of Monumental Brasses 1861, rp 1970 A. H. Hutchinson A Monograph on the history and restoration of the Parish Church of St. Mary, Callington 1861 W. H. Paynter The Parish Church of St Mary, Callington rp 1976 N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed 1970

Listing NGR: SX3588369646


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Haines, Reverend H , A Manual of Monumental Brasses, (1861)
Hutchinson, A H, A Monograph on the History and Restoration of the Parish Church of St Mary Callington, (1861)
Hutchinson, A H, A Monograph on the History and Restoration of the Parish Church of St Mary Callington, (1861)
Paynter, WH , The Parish Church of St Mary Callington, (1976)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1901)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/03407/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Elizabeth Gabriel. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].