OKELTOR MINE BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140215

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: OKELTOR MINE BUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of OKELTOR MINE BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140215 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:06:56.

Location

Statutory Address: OKELTOR MINE BUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calstock

National Grid Reference: SX4444368923

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALSTOCK OKELTOR MINE SW 46 NW 4/137 Okeltor Mine buildings II Mine buildings including engine house with chimney about 30 metres to north west ; count house and smithy. Mid - late C19. Slatestone rubble with brick dressings. Plan: The mine extends from west to east, on the upper bank of the River Tamar, opposite Gawton om the Devon side. The mine was worked for lead, copper, tin and arsenic production, and there are a variety of remains of the buildings on site. The pumping engine house is towards the middle of the side, with chimney to north west. The count house and smithy are at the west end. Exterior: The engine house is rectangular, with arched openings with brick dressings. Bob wall to south. Part of the cylinder plinth, which is 2 wide granite stones, remains in the centre. The engine house had a 50 inch cylinder draught engine, operating 75 fathoms of 12 inch plunger lifts and 15 fathoms of 12 inch drawing lifts, the date of installation being 1864. The chimney is in rubble, circular and tapered, with brick top and cornice. The count house is in rubble, single storey with a hipped slate roof ; window to front and door to side. The smithy is adjacent, also single storey, with corrugated iron roof ; open fronted. Other buildings on the site include a dry, boilerhouse, crusher and whim engine house, Brunton calciner, stamps, buddles, remains of arsenic labrynths and arsenic chimney. This was one of the most important mines near Calstock, with a quay capable of taking vessels up to 200 tons. The main engine shaft reached 80 fathoms below the level of the Tamar, and the main copper load passes under the river into Gawton mine on the Devon side. Okeltor continued working until 1887. Sources: Tamar Valley Project. Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley 1967. Hamilton Jenkin, A.L.: Mines and Miners of Cornwall 1976.

Listing NGR: SX4444368923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60884

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Booker, F, Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley, (1967)
Hamilton Jenkins, A K, Mines and Miners of Cornwall, (1976)

End of official listing