Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140293

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140293 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 12:28:18.


Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Duloe

National Grid Reference: SX 22715 61420



1/11 The Old House (previously listed as The Old House, Killigorick in the 21-8-64 parish of Broadoak) II

House. Rebuilt or remodelled in 1627 (datestone) for Richard Bailey. Stone rubble, partly rendered with cement-washed slate roof with gable end to hall on right and hipped end to projecting 2-storey porch on left. Stone rubble end chimney stack to hall. Projecting stone rubble chimney stack with C20 brick shaft in lower side wall on left, now heats rooms formed in wide through passage. Small projecting rendered lateral chimney stack in right-hand side wall of 2-storey porch to heat first floor room of porch. Shaft removed although fireplace remains. Plan; probably remains of much larger house, which has probably been reduced, the lower end demolished and the interior remodelled in the late C19 and mid C20. Large room on right surviving, possibly the hall, with a 2-storey porch to left with a wide through passage. The passage has been converted into a small sitting room with the front and rear doors blocked. A small hall passage has been inserted at the higher side between the passage and hall and a door introduced in the corner of the porch. An early C20 stair has been inserted to the rear of the later hall passage. A turreted stair projection remains to the rear of the hall although the winder stair has been removed. Circa mid C19 outshut to rear. 2 storeys, asymmetrical 3-window front with range at higher end remodelled in mid C19. Main range on right with 16-pane sash with horns with brick segmental arch on ground floor. Remains of moulded string course above ground floor to right of opening which probably continued as a dripmould over the hall window possibly stone mullion window of 3 or 4 lights. Above, two 16-pane sashes with horns with brick segmental arches. 2-storey porch with rollmoulded 3-centred arch in granite surround with hoodmould. Date 1627 incised in spandrels and initials R B carved in square label stops. Above, early C20 3-light casement in rectangular granite surround of mullion window with jambs, lintel and hoodmould retained. Inner door within porch 4- centred grantie arch with recessed spandrels with small central balls. Chamfered arch and jambs with ogee stops with balls. Opening now blocked and partly glazed with entrance door to right in angle. In right-hand gable end, chamber over hall is lit by 2-light mullion window with hoodmould. Chamfered mullions with hollow chamfers to inner face. Rear elevation with stair projection partly incorporated in later outshut. First floor with granite jambs and lintel for 2-light mullion window opening. Interior Through passage now blocked. Rear entrance to through passage visible from within rear outshut. It has shallow 4-centred granite arch with chamfered unstopped jambs and arch. Hall on right with heavy chamfered ceiling beams at fairly close centres. Only 1 beam stopped with runout stops. Large fireplace with probably replaced unmoulded granite lintel. Unmoulded granite upright to left and further fireplace opening with further unmoulded granite lintel to left. Cloam oven with door. Stair projection to rear of hall. Segmental-arched opening, now blocked, in side of stair projection. Winder stairs removed. First floor with circa C17 fireplace in room above porch; granite with chamfered jambs, chamfered and stopped lintel and granite hearth stone. C19 nailed collar rafter roof with no evidence of earlier roof. Several pieces of dressed granite in garden with heavy chamfers with ogee stops and bar and ogee stops. To right of house, 2 circa C17 granite columns on square bases with capitals. Found buried in garden and resited. Domesday Manor held prior to 1066 by Uhtred. The Bailey family lived at Killigorick from at least 1620 to 1708. Cornwall County Record Office hold the will of Richard Baley of Duloe, dated 1620, together with an inventory of goods of the said Richard Baley, late of Duloe, taken at Killigorick. Also will of son, Richard Bailey, dated 1683. The datestone and initials on the porch probably refer to the latter. Sources Copies of wills and inventories of the Bailey family held by the present owners. Report of the Old House, Killigorick by Tonkin.

Listing NGR: SX2271561420


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60665

Legacy System: LBS


Tonkin, Report of the Old House Killigorick,

End of official listing