This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ORANGERY WITH URN ABOUT 12 METRES TO NORTH AND BUSTS ARRANGED TO SOUTH, PORT ELIOT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ORANGERY WITH URN ABOUT 12 METRES TO NORTH AND BUSTS ARRANGED TO SOUTH, PORT ELIOT

List entry Number: 1140517

Location

ORANGERY WITH URN ABOUT 12 METRES TO NORTH AND BUSTS ARRANGED TO SOUTH, PORT ELIOT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Germans

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 62119

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GERMANS ST GERMANS SX 35 NE 5/123 (17/57B) The Orangery with urn about 12 23.1.68 metres to north and busts arranged to south, Port Eliot

GV II*

Orangery, with urn and busts. Circa 1790, with 4 busts in the garden to south and an urn to north, probably sited in mid C19. Orangery in brick and rubble, rendered; hipped slate roof. Rectangular orangery with glazed front to south and domed portico to north. Exterior: Single storey, 1:3:1:3:1 bays on the south front; central double doors with margin glazed bars and margin glazed overlight, pilasters. 24-pane sash to right and left with frieze over. To right and left, 2 further similar sashes, with pilasters between all windows. End bay to left and right with similar glazed double doors with tall fanlight and 15-pane round-headed sash with Gothic toplight to each side. Similar frieze over each end bay. Moulded eaves cornice. Left end wall and rear in rubble; left side has tall double doors, panelled on the inside. Rear has central portico with half-glazed door, 15-pane sash to right and left, with Ionic columns and frieze. Niche with bust to each side. Domed roof in lead, in course of repair at time of survey (August 1986). To the south of the orangery, a group of 4 Roman style busts on tapered piers with fielded panels. Urn set on plinth about 12 metres north of orangery. Sources: Hussey, C. : Country Life, October 15, 22 and 29 (1958).

Listing NGR: SX3567657834

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 29 October, (1958)
'Country Life' in October 15, (1958)
'Country Life' in 22 October, (1958)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

National Grid Reference: SX 36043 57690

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140517 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:44:37.

End of official listing