Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1140553

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 11:27:02.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Landrake with St. Erney

National Grid Reference: SX 37402 60506


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LANDRAKE WITH ST CHURCH STREET, Landrake SX 36 SE ERNEY 3/10 Church of St Michael 23.1.68 GV I

Parish church. Some C13 masonry remaining, late C14, with mid C15 and later C15 additions and alterations; late C19 restoration. Slatestone rubble with granite and greenstone dressings. Slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, largely appear to be of late C14 to early C15; south porch. West tower probably of mid C15, with later C15 north arcade and north aisle and north porch; probably at about the same time, the south transept added. C19 restoration includes alterations to windows and re-roofing. Perpendicular style. Nave and chancel in one, with angle buttresses to chancel. Both have one south window, of C19, 3-light, with 4-centred arch, through mullions and upper tracery and hoodmould; chancel has to south an attached slate tablet with segmental head and apron, to James Oram, 1786. Chancel east end has plinth and 3-light C15 window with steep 4-centerd arch, cusped lights and upper tracery with hood mould. Gabled south porch has granite outer doorway with 4-centred arch, concave and wave mouldings and hood mould, cast iron gate across. Interior of porch has slate floor, plastered walls and C19 wagon roof with bosses. The inner doorway has a chamfered pointed arch, with colonnettes to sides, probably C13. 3-stage tower with set back buttresses, string courses and embattled parapet, on chamfered plinth in greenstone. West doorway has a granite 4-centred arch with roll and concave mouldings and hood mould, plain C19 door with strap hinges. 3-light window above, with 4-centred arch and hood mould, hollow-moulded surround with cusped lights, through mullions and upper tracery. North side has octagonal stair tower with lancets, clock at second stage to north. Third stage all sides a 2-light bell- opening with 4-centred arch and surround as on west window, with slate louvres. String course to parapet has mask gargoyles, battlements partially rebuilt in C19 with granite coping, pinnacles with crocketed obelisk finials, weathervane. South transept has 2-light C19 window to east and west, as on south nave, similar 3- light window to south. North aisle of 4 bays with porch in western bay, on high moulded plinth with greenstone string course above the plinth and diagonal weathered buttresses. The east end of the aisle is set back from the chancel, with a diagonal buttress. East gable end has 3-light window to same design as those on the tower, but with taller central light; west end has 3-light window, probably C19 replacement, with 3-centred arched lights and upper tracery. To north, 3 bays each with 3-light window, as on east gable end, with some mullions replaced in the C19. End bay to east has doorway with hollow-chamfered Tudor arch, plain C19 door with strap hinges. The north porch is very shallow, on continuous plinth with aisle, with diagonal buttresses rising to crocketed pinnacles with masks in roundels at the base of the pinnacles, fleuron moulded eaves cornice to sides with masks, crocketed gable to front. 4 centred arched doorway with roll and hollow moulded surround, in granite with recessed spandrels with quatrefoils, square hood mould with mask stops; plain C19 door with strap hinges and cast iron gate accross. Interior: Plastered walls. Nave and chancel have C19 wagon roofs, 9 bays to nave and 4 to chancel. Tall 4-centred arch to tower with imposts, with C19 wooden screen across arch. Pointed arched chamfered doorway to tower stair. The upper part of the chancel arch is formed by part of the C19 roof structure, supported by a C15 shaft to each side with ring capitals and mask corbels. South side of chancel has chamfered opening at low level to rood stair, with squint, blocked, but visible from the transept side. Stone newel stair partially remaining, with upper doorway. Transept has tall 4-centred arch, with Pevsner A-type piers, with 3/4 shafts instead of the usual demi-shafts. Ogee piscina in south wall. 3-bay C19 wagon roof with bosses. Rave and chancel have 4-bay north arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers and 4-centred arches. Aisle has 11-bay wagon roof, of C15, much restored in C19, with moulded ribs and purlins. Trefoil headed piscina in south wall. Fittings: C12 font in nave, of Altarnun type, in granite, a square bowl on octagonal shaft, with corner faces and large rosettes in circles. C19 stone pulpit in nave and C19 marble reredos in chancel. C19 wooden benches in nave, aisle and transept, those in chancel with poppy-head bench ends. Slate hatchment in transept recording Sir Robert Geffery's will of 1705. Monuments in nave: slate plate with shouldered nowy head, trumpeting angel, skull and crossed bones, to Richard Colethe (?) 1738; three slate plates with shouldered nowy heads, to John Stephens, 1776, Ruby Reed, 1780 and Ruby Reed, 1829; slate plate with pedimental top and urn, to Mary Lang, 1807. In chancel: set in aumbry a brass to Edward Coutney, Lord of Wotton in Landrake, 1509; fine pair of slate monuments, both of 1607, to Nicholas Mylls and his wife, with carved figures in relief and strapwork; marble monument on slate ground, to John Littleton, 1847; marble tablet on marble ground, to Grace Hambly, 1810. In transept: slate tablet to Elizebeth Rowe, 1670; marble tablet on slate ground, to Peter Palmer, 1829; slate tablet with segmental head and apron, to John Palmer, 1785; fine slate tablet with shouldered nowy head and carved leaves, to Thomas Rowe, 1713. In north aisle; marble tablet, to William Steed, 1809; slate tablet with swept nowy head, to John Blake, 1819; slate tablet with painted incised segmental head, to Philip Blake, 1808; slate tablet with carved urn, to Samson Rendle, 1821; slate tablet with pedimental top and flaming urn, to John Sanders, 1806; stone tablet, to Catherine Blake, 1827; oval stone tablet with corbel, to Jenny Colins, C18, by Allen of Plymouth; slate tablet with pedimental top and carved figure of death with hourglass and scythe, primitive Corinthian pilasters, apron with skull and crossed bones, to Daniell Truscott, 1751. Glass: chancel east window has stained glass of 1866; chancel south window with stained glass of 1887. Other windows with C20 stained glass or lattice glazed. Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX3742560479


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62007

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing