EAST CLIFT HOUSE WEST CLIFT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140699

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: EAST CLIFT HOUSE

Statutory Address: WEST CLIFT HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST CLIFT HOUSE
WEST CLIFT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 02:31:47.

Location

Statutory Address: EAST CLIFT HOUSE

Statutory Address: WEST CLIFT HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Antony

National Grid Reference: SX4022555212

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

S x 45 NW ANTONY Clift Farmhouse and Clift 3/1 Cottage

GV II

The address shall be amended to read:

SX 45 NW ANTONY

3/ East Clift House and West Clift House

GV II

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SX 45 NW ANTONY

3/1 Clift Farmhouse and Clift Cottage

GV II

Farmhouse, now farmhouse and house. Probably early C16 origin, substantially remodelled in 1650 (dated on fireplace in inner room), with some C19 and C20 alterations. Rubble, rendered, slate roofs with large rendered stacks, at gable end to left, front lateral hall stack and front lateral stack to lower end, gable end stack to rear wing to right. Possibly originally an open-hall house (without evidence) with 3 rooms and through passage, upper end to left, lower end to right. In 1650, the front bay of the hall and inner room was extended, doorframes, granite fireplaces and plasterwork of this date, and stair tower added to rear of inner room, and rear wing added to lower end. The lower end has a lower roof level, there was formerly a fireplace in the hall backing on to the passage, probably dis-used when front lateral stack constructed. Probably mid C18 a rear: outshut was built, and C19 alterations were made to the windows. The house was divided, probably late C19/early C20, Clift Farmhouse being the upper end, passage and lower end Clift Cottage. 2 storeys, front has 2 windows to left, at ground floor a 3-light casement and 20- pane sash, at first floor two 2-light C19 casements; roof hipped to right over projecting bay. Wall stepped back to hall stack with oven at base, 3-light casement to right at ground floor and 2-light casement at first floor. Roof level stepped down over passage with C20 porch with pitched roof and door, single light to right and above; front lateral kitchen stack and single light at first floor to right. At left end, a wide external stack. Rear of inner room has 2-light casement at ground and first floor; stair tower set back to left with C20 door, at first floor a 3-light timber casement with ovolo mullions. Gable end of stair tower in slatestone rubble with C20 2-light window at first floor, single storey rubble outhouse attached to end. Right end rebuilt mid C19, with 3 gabled dormers, 3-light and central 2-light central door with segmental head, 4-light casement to left and 3-light to right with brick segmental heads. The rear has a C17 2-storey one-room plan rear kitchen wing to left with wide external gable end stack; between this wing to left and the stair tower to right, a 2-storey rear service addition with pitched roof, also with external stack; this has a small 4-pane light under eaves to left and 2-light casement to right, 2-light casement at ground floor right and later C19 single storey addition to rear of stack. The outhouse attached to end right has blocked door and ventilation slit in gable end, with brick ridge stack. Interior: Both house have unusually fine features of the 1650 remodelling. The through passage has a stone floor, doorway to hall to left has ovolo-moulded frame with double round and straight cut stops, 8-panelled door with raised fillets and studs, strap hinges; all C17 doors of this type. Clift Cottage has a straight stair inserted to right of passage, 2-room plan, C19 hob grates in first floor fireplace. In Clift Farmhouse, the inner room has agranite fireplace, ovolo-moulded, with central shield with raised carved chalice and jug with initials RWGW 1650. The door between the inner room and the stair tower is of 1650 type, with decorative metal plate on wooden lock. Similar door between stair tower (which forms ante-room) and hall, with 3 steps down, this door has fleur-de-lys strap hinges. The hall has ovolo-moulded ceiling beams, nd an ovolo-moulded doorway to the rear addition. Stair tower has an unusually wide dog-leg stair; at first floor, similar doorway to room to end left, with ovolo-moulded and scroll-stopped frame, this room has a plaster frieze with roll-mouldings, and a granite fireplace with plaster overmantel. This has a scrolled surround to a circular cartouche showing the pelican in her piety, the fireplace with scroll-mouldings to jambs and triangular motif in frieze. The hall chamber was divided in two in 1650, both doors similar, but narrower, without stops to ovolo-moulded frames; room to left has similar plaster frieze, room to right has C19 fireplace using flue from end stack not front lateral stack. There is a small chamber over the stair well, with 2-bay roof with principal rafters and one row of purlins One principal has moulded coving to inner side. 6-bay roof over hall has principal rafters and cambered pegged collars, apexes cut for C19 ridge purlin and 2 rows of purlins. Rest of roof not accessible.

Listing NGR: SX4022555212

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61660

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing