BUILDINGS AT WHEAL ST VINCENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1140789

Date first listed: 22-Sep-1986

Statutory Address: BUILDINGS AT WHEAL ST VINCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUILDINGS AT WHEAL ST VINCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:09:58.

Location

Statutory Address: BUILDINGS AT WHEAL ST VINCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Callington

National Grid Reference: SX 38509 69647

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALLINGTON SX 36 NE Buildings at Wheal St Vincent 8/252

II*

GV

Silver/Lead smelting works. Early/Mid C19. Killas rubble with red-brick and granite dressing and rag slate roofs. Three buildings in line built on different levels on slope but all inter-connected. The road (west elevation) at the top of the slope has two semi-circular headed openings partly blocked one above another and Smaller one in outshot to loft. The south side of this small square block is a narrow arched window. The second section has two later square-headed openings when upper floor inserted: also original round-headed one. Two raking buttresses. Small arched opening to rear. Bottom section is lower again and has three raking buttresses and two segmental headed openings, segmental headed doorway in bottom wall. All roof structures appear original with king post trusses. The top building incorporates a network of kiln-type flues. Use of buildings at present unknown but presumably the slope was used for a gravity-fed process of silver and lead smelting. This building is unusually complete and well finished. Wheal St Vincent had several periods of working between 1810 and 1848 and considerable quantities of silver were smelted. Source A.K Hamilton-Jenkin, Mines and Miners of Cornwall Volume XV Page 27.

Listing NGR: SX3850969647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61461

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton Jenkins, A K, Mines and Miners of Cornwall, (1976), 27

End of official listing