ROSTEAGUE HOUSE AND STABLE BLOCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141012

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: ROSTEAGUE HOUSE AND STABLE BLOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROSTEAGUE HOUSE AND STABLE BLOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 05:32:03.

Location

Statutory Address: ROSTEAGUE HOUSE AND STABLE BLOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Gerrans

National Grid Reference: SW 87343 33547

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 83 SE GERRANS

5/14 Rosteague House and Stable - block 28-2-52 GV II*

Country house and stable block. C15-C16 remodelled circa 1700 and extended 1820 for Henry Harris, stable block probably mid C19. Slatestone rubble walls with granite dressings to wings. Scantle slate hipped roofs with many C17-C18 crested ridge tiles, brick axial chimneys and tall lateral stone stack to rear and north. Original range extended with wing to right, front and small chapel (first mentioned 1401) to north of main range, further extended probably C17 with wing to rear (south) and then with wing to front left 1820; finally L-shaped stable block forming rectangular rear courtyard. 2 storeys, symmetrical, 5 windows east front with identical flanking wings 2 bays deep and 1 bay wide. Central 6-panel door with roundel in overlight, flat slatestone ground floor arches to main block and shallow granite arches with projecting keys to ground floor of wings and granite quoins. C19, 12-pane sashes. Rear has outer granite frame and hoodmould 3 light mullioned window to left, now with tripartite sash. Relieving arch under left jamb to cellar, now inaccessable: Wide C19, 3-light wooden mullioned window over with sash and timber lintel. To right is joint corresponding to position of early newel stair recess which survives within. To right of this is 2 storey projection of C16-C17 porch remodelled C19 and original doorway possibly removed to Saint Nun's Well nearby. External stack with tall shaft right and first floor openings to right of this have C17 ovolo moulded lintels. Copies of these lintels to ground floor and to some openings in rear wing. Cobbled courtyard. Hollow chamfered, 2-light granite mullioned window survives to north gable end of chapel and similar window partly blocked by early C18 flight of semi-circular granite steps to north wall of main range. Interior has chamfered, pointed doorway of Pentewan stone between hall and kitchen. Earliest walling survives in kitchen which has enormous hearth breast now serving several flues but with large stone chimney visible in roof space and evidence for lower roof level to this part originally. Circa 1700 plaster ceiling cornice in hall, first floor passage and in conjunction with fine torus moulded plaster ceiling in parlour with oval bay leaf and oak leaf garland. Also complete bolection moulded panelling to this room except to fireplace which has C16 granite jambs and lintel, all resited and with roll moulding between cavettos. Further granite fireplace C16-C17 chamfered with pyramid stops in north west room adjoining chapel. Many 2-panel and 3-panel circa 1700 doors with original HL hinges. Late C18 marble fireplace to hall is insertion C20. First floor rooms not inspected. Roof structure of main range probably circa 1700 with lapped and pegged pine collars and principals but 2 late C17 doors with shallow moulded stiles and rails survive at north end. Roof structure of wings with king post trusses is probably 1820. Partly converted stable block of slatestone has shallow brick arches to openings and dry, Delabole slate hipped roofs. A deed relating to Trewithian is witnessed by John Restack 1365. In 1401 John Petit and his wife Mary had licence to celebrate Divine service at their chapel at Resteak. In the Gerrans subsidy Rolls John Rostack (in 1535 called Rostege and 1543 Rosteke) is the richest man in the parish. (Extracts from a letter from Charles Henderson to Mr Van Grutton). Rosteague was held by Mohun family from circa 1610 until sold to Nicholas Kempe 1619. The Kempes sold Rosteague to W. Harris in 1780 (Lysons Cornwall 1814)

Listing NGR: SW8734333547

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 62979

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lysons Cornwall, (1814)

End of official listing