CHURCH OF ST RUMON
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST RUMON
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141087.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:11:55.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST RUMON
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SW 84 SE
RUAN LANIHORNE RUAN LANIHORNE Church of St Rumon
Parish church. Dedicated to Saint Rumon. C13, C14, C14, partly rebuilt C17 and with C19 restoration. Slatestone with granite quoins and dressings and Delabole dry slate roofs with gable ends. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south transept and south porch. North aisle has C15 granite west window; 4 C15 granite windows to north wall; 2-centred arched north door (nearly opposite south door), chamfered C19 stone chimney over former rood stair projection and C19 freestone window in Decorated style to east gable end. Chancel window is also C19 steeper, of freestone and with reticulated tracery. Early walling (possibly C13) survives under. South wall: to left C13 2-light lancet window possibly reset C17; porch dated 1669 with chamfered nearly semi-circular arched granite doorway with hood mould; transept with C19 window in gable and 3-light lancet in east wall of 1868 for John Peter of Treviles, Rector of Grade. 3-light C19 window to right of transept is in Decorated style. C13 tower of 1 stage but upper part rebuilt after storm in 1658 dated 1675 and is said to have been higher. Low angle buttresses to north-west and south-west corners and sundial over south buttress to John Doble and St Doble, churchwardens 1743. Plinth of south-east buttress projects beyond south wall of nave. 2 tiers of windows in tower are C13 single-lights with pierced slates. String under battlemented parapet with crocketed granite pinnacles on square shafts. Blocked west door is 2 centred. Interior: between nave/chancel and north aisle is 6-bay standard A-type (Pevsner) arcade with 4-centred arches and different carved detail to each capital; tall 2- centred tower arch; 2 recesses in north and south walls flanking altar; squint from south transept to chancel; roofs to nave, chancel, north aisle and south transept are circa 1868 and arch braced incorporating C15 carved bracing from original wagon roof, also carved wall plates. Porch roof is of reused common rafters. Also in north east corner of porch is freestone shaft (probably C13). Fittings include font possibly C14 with octagonal central and corner shafts and 4-leaf panels with cover made of C15 carved roof braces; hexagonal pulpit of reused roof timber and bench end-panels; lectern with reused roof braces: altar with more reused oak including bosses; circular iron stove; C19 pine pews with slate floor to rear and along north aisle and painted arch headed-panels of The Ten Commandments and one of The Lords Prayer. Monuments to: Richard Trestrain in south transept of a carved praying figure under trefoil head 1579-1664. (Trestrain funded the repairs to the church after the storm damage;) to the Rev. John Whitaker and his daughter Jane Margaret Whitaker (floor slabs) and to John Luke, Esq. of Trevilles 1776. Belfry not inspected. Information about storm etc. from 'The History of Ruan Lanihorne' by the Rev. John Whitaker, historian and writer and vicar of the parish from 1777 until his death in 1808. Journal of Royal Institution of Cornwall 1974, p.108
Listing NGR: SW8944442028
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Whitaker, J, 'Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall' in The History of Ruan Lanihorne, (1974), 108
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing