BARCLAYS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141139

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Oct-1997

Statutory Address: BARCLAYS BANK, 52, ABBEYGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARCLAYS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 11:55:51.

Location

Statutory Address: BARCLAYS BANK, 52, ABBEYGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Grid Reference: TL 85351 64163

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SW ABBEYGATE STREET 639-1/14/149 (South side) 12/07/72 No.52 Barclays Bank (Formerly Listed as: ABBEYGATE STREET (South side) Nos.50, 51 AND 52 Barclays Bank)

GV II

Bank. C19, in 2 phases: the eastern half was built for Gurneys in 1856 by HF Bacon of Bury, and used as their bank until 1880, when the western half was designed for them in matching style by JB Pearce of Norwich; the older part was used as the Post Office from 1881 to 1895. Subsequently, the whole premises were taken over by Barclays. Stucco faced, with a moulded parapet, modillion cornice and egg-and-dart frieze; slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellars. 9 window range, 1:3:1:3:1, with the end and centre bays projecting forward slightly. Sash windows without glazing bars on the ground storey and with single vertical bars on the 1st and 2nd storeys except for the four 1st storey windows at the west side. The 2nd storey windows have stucco architraves and sills on stub brackets. The 1st storey windows have stucco architraves, balustrades under the window sills and segmental pediments on enriched console brackets. The ground storey windows have stilted arches with architraves and keystones, panelled pilasters and panels below the sills. The projecting bays have doorways, 2 with round-headed arches and coursed stucco rustication, one, on the left, with a Tuscan porch. A continuous dentil cornice above the ground storey windows. (BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 149).





Listing NGR: TL8535164163

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 466606

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 149

End of official listing