This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PORTERS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PORTERS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1141279

Location

PORTERS FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: High Roothing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352738

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 60 17 HIGH RODING

4/34 Porters Farmhouse

20.2.67

GV I

Manor house, c.1400, altered in C16, now a farmhouse. Timber-framed, plastered, roof tiled. 2-bay hall with integral storeyed service end to N, contemporary 2- bay parlour/solar crosswing to S jettied to W. Chimney stack inserted in N bay of hall, clear of cross-entry, and floor inserted, mid C16. Stair tower in E angle, C16. External chimney stack on S wall of crosswing, C16. Large dormer in S bay of hall, and renewed windows elsewhere, c.1600. W elevation, ground floor, 2 C20 casement windows, front door, large oriel window in crosswing, mullioned and transomed with ovolo mouldings, 13 fixed lights and one wrought- iron casement, c.1600. On first floor, oriel in service bay with single carved bracket and C20 casement window; large oriel dormer with pedimented gable, carved pendants and C20 casement; oriel window in crosswing with pedimental gable, carved pendants and C20 casement windows, (reported by RCHM as bearing the repainted dated 1652, but not now visible). Timber framing partly exposed internally, close studding with external bracing. Original cross-entry still present, front and rear doorheads missing. Twin doorways to service rooms with 4-centred doorheads, blocked but exposed. Doorway in SE corner of hall to parlour, with 4-centred doorhead, complete and in use. Backrest of settle across full width of S wall of hall, 53cm deep, with band of carved chevrons and concentric circles all along top edge, a rare survival. Chamfered arch-braces to cambered tiebeam over hall. All original roofs virtually complete, of crownpost construction. Cross-quadrate crownposts, each with 4 arch braces, over centre of crosswing and hall, the latter heavily smoke-blackened, both intact. Collar-purlin over hall is broken but otherwise uninterrupted, passing close to inserted chimney stack. Some rafters severed in C16 for inserted stack and inserted dormer, otherwise complete, with good series of carpenter's assembly marks. Original patterned daub at both ends of hall, heavily smoke-blackened. More carpenter's assembly marks on studs at S end of hall, a complete series. Moulded wallposts and binding joist in crosswing,ogee with quarter-circle. Stop-chamfered beams first floor. The large oriel window on the ground floor of the crosswing is complete in all particulars, including a contemporary wrought iron casement with spring latch on decorated plate, a rare survival. Upper oriel present structurally but adapted to C20 casements. One inserted ovolo-moulded window in E of ground floor, one in S of upper floor. Ovolo mouldings with small concave above and below attached with handmade nails all round ceilings of hall and crosswing. Octagonal newel post in stair tower, sawn off at top, treads renewed in original positions, possibly over original treads. Inserted chimney stack has a ground floor hearth 3.35 metres wide, an exceptional width, reduced for later fireplace. Upper hearth reported by RCHM to have original moulded mantel beam.

This manor house of high quality has retained more original medieval features unchanged than known elsewhere in Essex. It has undergone one series of alterations in the C16, culminating in a series of ornamental features of c.1600, which also have survived in remarkably intact condition. It is difficult to reconcile the repainted date 1652 reported by the RCHM with any major phase of this building.

The house was reported by the RCHM to be in poor condition c.1920. Since then it has been kept weathertight but with only very minor alterations. It constitutes a valuable source of historical information on two periods of domestic architecture on which the evidence elsewhere is always fragmentary. RCHM 8

Listing NGR: TL6060717009

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 60607 17009

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141279 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 12:34:08.

End of official listing