Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141395

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1985



© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141395 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 19:57:45.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Farringdon

National Grid Reference: SY0176291924


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/32 Farringdon House including 8.11.85 terrace adjoining to north

- II

Mansion. C18 origins, modernised circa 1800, thoroughly remodelled 1897 - 1900. The earlier work is stucco over brick on red conglomerate stone footings, the Victorian part is exposed brick with some black brick diaper work and Hamstone dressings; brick stacks mostly with C19 brick tops; slate roofs to the earlier parts, red tile to the Victorian part. Large house facing south-south-east, say south. The basic plan is 3 rooms wide and 4 deep. There is a single storey 1-room extension to left (west) of the front and the rest of the west side was thrown out a short distance on the lower left side circa 1900 with a large entrance porch and new main stair. From the new porch a narrow 2-storey gallery extends northwards to connect the main house to the circa 1900 service and boilerhouse wing. Most of the rooms are heated. There is a terrace adjoining the northern side. The front (southern) range is 3 storeys, the right (eastern) range is 2 storeys with attics, the rear (northern) range is 2 storeys with basement and attics and the left (western) range is 3 storeys with attics. Each front has a different elevation. The south front has the most complete C18 appearance. It is symmetrical 2:3:2-window front with the central bay broken slightly forward. All windows are late C19 mullion-and-upper transom casements. Those on the second floor have glazing bars but most of the rest have only patterns of glazing bars to the top lights. The 2 ground floor windows flanking the central door are C20 plate glass. Plain flat-roofed porch of circa 1900 has part-glazed double doors and a plain doorcase. The central bay has a plat band at first floor level and a pediment at the top containing an oculus window. The deep eaves have a circa 1900 cornice with large shallow dentils. The roof is hipped each end. The left-hand extension has 2 larger mullion-and-transom windows and is gable-ended. The right (eastern) end of the front block is blind. The east front behind is plastered with brick-coloured plaster which is painted with white lines as neat brickwork. There is a chamfered plinth and rubble footings, a plat band at first floor level and stucco quoins on the rear (right) corner. Apart from a C20 service doorway and large circa 1900 large first floor 3-light window the 4 ground floor and 5 first floor windows are probably C18. Some towards the right are blind, the rest contain mullion-and-transom windows similar to those on the south front except for 1 early C19 12-pane sash to the ground floor. The attics have dormers of various sizes with segmental heads. Large modillion eaves, cornice and roof is gable ended. The left (west) front is largely late C19. Between the extension to the front on the right and the late C19 porch the ground level falls. There are French windows at the right end entered from a terrace and the rest falls to accommodate an extra storey. This part is 2 storeys high with soffit moulded Hamstone coping and flat roof back to the main block. It has a 3-window front, 2 mullion-and-transom windows and to the right a tall flat arch headed stair window containing panels of translucent coloured leaded glass. Above the parapet the main block has 6 C20 windows and there are 3 gabled dormers on the roof. The porch is 3 storeys high and has an embattled parapet over a band of decorative diaper brickwork. The ground floor level is built of Hamstone ashlar and contains a flat-arched doorway with moulded surround and plain spandrels. It is flanked by sunken panels over low buttresses with moulded weatherings. There is a moulded cornice at first floor level and a moulded dripcourse a little above is used as the sill of a Palladian style window with Doric mullions and dentil cornice, and the second floor has a 4- light mullion-and-transom window. A 2-storey gallery with embattled parapet connects to the service block to the left (north). It has 3 mullion-and-transom windows over a now-blocked Hamstone ashlar arcade. The gable-ended service wing at right angles is built in the same style with a large central gabled bay window flanked by mullion-and-transom windows over another blocked 4-bay arcade of flat arches. The north front is C18 but adapted in the late C19. The main front is plastered brick coloured and painted as brickwork with a plat band across at first floor level and a moulded timber cornice. It has a 2:3:2-window front, all late C19 and C20. The outer bays project very slightly and have late C19 brick gables containing attic windows and the roof between has a gabled dormer. The basement here is hidden behind a terrace with rock-faced sandstone retaining wall and a balustrade of concrete turned balusters between square-section posts. In the centre is a flight of steps down to the lawn with the balustrade sweeping outwards either side. Several late C19 cast iron decorated rainwater heads and drain pipes survive around the house and the rainwater head on the north side is particularly ornate, fashioned as a gargoyle-like griffin. Interior contains a great deal of good quality detail although it is by no means complete. The C18 stairs were reset in the late C19 extension on the west side; it has a closed string, square newel posts, moulded flat handrail and twisted balusters. There is some good detail of circa 1800 such as those ground floor rooms on the front. The left room has large field panelling with the dado enriched with Vitruvian scrollwork, an Adams-style moulded plaster frieze and marble chimney- piece. All the doors off the entrance are panelled and enriched with carvings. The right room has good panelled oak wainscotting with a fretwork frieze under the dado, a cupboard recess flanked by fluted Ionic pilasters, an Adams-style marble chimney- piece, and an intersecting beam ceiling with moulded plaster florettes along the soffits and modillion cornices. Other rooms have similar detail and the rear central room includes a panelled door with marquetry inlay and Japanese lacquer-work panels. It is said that the house was occupied by the RAF during the Second World War and contains 2 notable murals depicting the local airport, aircraft, airmen, etc., but it is not known whether these still survive.

Listing NGR: SY0176291924


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352354

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing