ELLON HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS AND COURTYARD WALL TO NORTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141408

Date first listed: 26-May-1987

Statutory Address: ELLON HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS AND COURTYARD WALL TO NORTH WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELLON HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS AND COURTYARD WALL TO NORTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141408 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:25:32.

Location

Statutory Address: ELLON HOUSE INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS AND COURTYARD WALL TO NORTH WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford

National Grid Reference: SY 09108 90500

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 09 SE NEWTON POPPLEFORD HARPFORD AND HARPFORD 4/66 Ellon House including - outbuildings and courtyard wall to north-west. - II

House and outbuildings. Circa 1850. Plastered stone rubble or brick; probably brick stacks with plastered brick chimney shafts; slate roofs. L-shaped building in which the main block facing west has a 2-room plan with central entrance hall and staircase. The right (southern) room has a rear lateral stack and the left (northern) room has an end stack. Single room rear block at right angles on left end. The service courtyard attached to the left end is on a slightly different axis. The service room adjoining the left is 1 room and there is a 2-room cottage at right angles to it projecting forward with a C20 garage in front. The cobble courtyard in front of the serivce room and cottage is enclosed by a cob wall. 2 storeys. The main house has a symmetrical 5-window front of circa 1850 fenestration, comprising French windows to the ground floor with glazing bars and containing glass panes the same size as the first floor sashes, a central 12-pane sash flanked by 16- pane sashes, a central 12-pane sash flanked by 16-pane sashes. Central part-glazed and panelled door with hip-roofed open porch with trellis sides. Roof is gable- ended. The service room has C19 casements with glazing bars and is gable-ended with a roof lower than the main block. The cottage is also gable-ended and the same height as the service room. It has a 2-window front of 12-pane sashes and central plank door. In the left (west) end is an arch-headed window with glazing bars turning to a Gothic pattern in the head. The tall wall around the cobbled courtyard is plastered cob on rubble footings with interlocking tile coping. Interior retains a good deal of original detail. An attractive and little modernised house. Shown as Riverside on OS map.

Listing NGR: SY0910890500

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352388

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing