This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MINERS AND MECHANICS INSTITUTE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE-PIERS AND RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MINERS AND MECHANICS INSTITUTE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE-PIERS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1141497

Location

MINERS AND MECHANICS INSTITUTE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE-PIERS AND RAILINGS, VICARAGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Agnes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63872

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST AGNES VICARAGE ROAD (west side), SW 75 SW 4/244 Miners and Mechanics Institute, including boundary walls,gate-piers - and railings GV II

Institute, including boundary walls, gate-piers and railings. Datestone 1893. Built by J. Passmore Edwards (patron) to a design by W.J. Wills. Killas brought to course granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate gabled roofs. Brick chimneys over the gable ends at left and right. Cast-iron ogee-section gutters. Plan: 2 principal rooms flanking a central entrance hall and subsidiary rooms behind. Exterior: Single storey. Symmetrical l:l:l-bay front with each gabled bay broken forward from the overall wall plane. Central bay has round-headed doorway with hoodmould. Coped gable over moulded cornice is flanked by pinnacles and surmounted by a shaped finial. Within the gable is a shallow shaped niche with the initials J.P.E. and date 1893. Original panelled doors and fanlight with coloured glass and clock to the middle. Flanking bays have coped gables with moulded kneelers and finials; the stepped tripartite mullioned windows have round-headed central lights and transoms. Original small-paned windows; the upper lights have marginal panes. Interior not inspected. Garden in front of the institute is flanked by rubble coped rubble walls and fronted by low rubble walls with rock-faced granite copings surmounted by the original ornate cast-iron railings. Square-on-plan rock faced granite gate-piers and terminal piers with pyramdial caps. This institute is one of 4 institutes in Cornwall donated by J. Passmore Edwards. Source: R.S. Best, John Passmore Edwards.

Listing NGR: SW7201850480

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Best, R S , The Life and Good Works of John Passmore Edwards, (1981)

National Grid Reference: SW 72018 50480

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141497 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 12:26:23.

End of official listing