This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHYVERTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHYVERTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1141551

Location

CHYVERTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Perranzabuloe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PERRANZABULOE CHYVERTON SW 75 SE 5/60 Chyverton House 28.2.52 GV II*

Country house. Circa early-mid C18, extended circa 1770s for John Thomas. Brick laid to Flemish bond at the front, killas rubble at the rear. Pentewen stone dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs: hipped roof over house, with brick stacks over rear walls of front rooms; pyramidal roofs over pavilions with central brick stacks. Wooden modillioned cornices except for the pavilions which have moulded cornices and the C19 additions which have stone moulded cornices under parapets. Plan: Originally an almost square double-depth house with 2 equal sized front rooms, extended circa 1770s with 2 pavilions set back and with their fronts linked to rear wall of house by high screen walls. At some time a wing was added in front of the left-hand screen wall linking the house to the left-hand pavilion and in circa 1832- 1850 the plan of the original house was altered and a 1-bay single storey wing was added on the left. At the same time the interior features were replaced with C19 features in classical style. Exterior: 2 storeys over basement plus attics. Elevations virtually unaltered. original house has 1:3: 1-bay north-east front with central bays broken forward and surmounted by a triangular pediment with central lunette. Original central doorway fitted with window in the C19. Ashlar plinth, rusticated quoins. Circa early-mid C19 12-pane hornless sashes to this front and similar windows to other elevations. Pavilion set back at either side. Each pavilion has symmetrical 3-window south east brick front with central ground floor window within a recessed round arch. Ashlar plinth and rusticated quoins. Left and right elevations and rear elevations are of dressed coursed stone, otherwise similar to the south east fronts (central rear windows not recessed). Left-hand wall of left-hand pavilion has blind windows except for window at first-floor left. Rear of original house is a symmetrical 4-window stone front with central circa early-mid C19 porch with central round headed doorway flanked by round-headed windows, 6-panel door with fanlight over. Linking the rear of the house with pavilion on its left is a C20 addition in similar style and on the right is an old hipped-roofed link building. Interior: largely remodelled between circa 1832 and 1850. Large stair hall has open-well stair with open string and cast-iron balustrade. 3-bay Tuscan colonnade between stair hall and axial passage. Surviving C18 features include an iron fireplace in the left-hand front room (much admired by Sir John Betjeman when he visited according to present owners Mr and Mrs Holman) and a marble chimney-piece in the front right-hand room. In the left-hand pavilion are some original C18 features including the original stair. Good quality circa early C18 oak-panelling in the left-hand room of the pavilion was fitted to Chyverton in the C18 and came from Harlyn House, St Merryn parish (qv). Other pavilion not inspected. The house has good quality neo-classical wall and ceiling plasterwork in all of the rooms inspected. Source: Historical information provided by Mr and Mrs Nigel Holman.

Listing NGR: SW7968551132

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

National Grid Reference: SW7968551132

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141551 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 10:20:05.

End of official listing