Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of ELLENGLAZE MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141568 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:12:02.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 77574 57850


CUBERT SW 75 NE 2/5 Ellenglaze Manor 30.5.67 II

Farmhouse, now house. Probably mid - late C17 origin; rebuilt and extended circa late C18, with addition of circa 1820; later alterations and additions of C19 and C20. Stone rubble and cob; rendered. Hipped slate roof with ridge tiles. Stacks to left and right with granite shafts. The front right wing is in squared stone rubble with hipped slate roof with ridge tiles. Plan: The remains of the C17 house now form a rear wing to right; this consists of a dairy at ground floor with chamber above; Circa late C18, an addition was made at right angles to left; this is a double depth plan, with central entrance and principal room to front left and right, each heated from an end stack. Stair hall to rear left and service rooms to rear right, incorporating the C17 fragment to rear right. Circa 1820 a one-room plan addition was made to the right end, with a bow front projecting to front right, joining at the rear with the C17 range; the front room is heated from a back to back fireplace with the end stack to right. At the left end of the C18 range, there is a C19 workshop/outshut, and also of C19 a stable with loft and dovecot was added to rear right, behind the C17 range. Exterior: 2 storeys, symmetrical 3-window front, with the 2-storey wing projecting to right. Ground floor has two late C19 French windows with external shutters; central C18 6-panelled door with overlight, doorcase with pediment. First floor has three C19 16-pane sashes. The wing to right is built into the bank at the right side; at the front there is an early C19 16-pane sash with Gothic glazing bars at upper level. The right side of the wing has blocked window and C20 2-light casement; at first floor to left there is a small early C19 single Gothic casement and to right a 2- light C19 Gothic casement with lattice glazing. The lower 2-storey C17 wing is to right, set back. At ground floor there is a 2-light 8-pane casement and recessed 8- pane window with granite jambs. At first floor there is a 2-light 6-pane C19 casement and a C17 3-light casement with wooden ovolo-moulded mullions, with leaded cames and iron stanchions and timber lintel. The roof of the C18 range is extended over this wing, the roof hipped. Attached to right is a 2-storey stone rubble and cob range, which is the C19 stable, with asbestos slate roof and a C20 garage attached at the rear gable end. The inner side has half-glazed C20 door with cambered brick arch and C20 2-light casement with timber lintel; first floor has paired C19 8-pane sashes and 3 rows of square pigeon holes. The left end of the C18 range has single storey workshop lean-to with 8-pane window with lapped glazing and C19 16-pane sash and C20 single light. The first floor has 4-pane window, C19 12- pane sash and 24-pane sash lighting the stair. The rear of the main range has 4-pane sash and 12-pane sash at ground floor, with C20 glazed door and 20-pane sash to end right. First floor has two 12-pane sashes; the windows of C19. Attached to front left of the house is a stable/coach house range; this is now a separate house, and not included in the listing. Interior: The main front range has been remodelled in C19 with good features of the period; straight stair to left in the stair hall. The front right room at ground floor has a cupboard to rear with glazed door with Gothic glazing bars; of the same design as a cupboard in Cubert Vicarage (q.v.). In the C17 range, the dairy at ground floor has roughly hewn ceiling beams and brick floor with slate shelves; the ground floor level is continued to front as a cellar below the 1820 front wing. At first floor, the room over the dairy has an early C18 2-panelled door and blocked end fireplace; this is the room with the 3-light ovolo-moulded casement; internally the mullions have flatter mouldings and there is a panelled window seat with bolection mouldings.

Listing NGR: SW7757457850


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].