ROSKRUGE BARTON FARMHOUSE AND REAR GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141681

Date first listed: 10-Jul-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: ROSKRUGE BARTON FARMHOUSE AND REAR GARDEN WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROSKRUGE BARTON FARMHOUSE AND REAR GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 10:51:06.

Location

Statutory Address: ROSKRUGE BARTON FARMHOUSE AND REAR GARDEN WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Anthony-in-Meneage

National Grid Reference: SW 77565 23575

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 72 SE ST. ANTHONY -IN-MENEAGE 5/199 Roskruge Barton Farmhouse and rear garden walls (formerly listed as 10.7.57 Roscruge Barton) GV II*

Farmhouse and rear garden walls. Circa late medieval, remodelled in the circa late C16, early C17 and slightly enlarged in the C18. Painted rubble walls, some cob and many dressed granite outer frames of mullioned windows, some wooden lintels. Scantle slate roofs with some hand-made crested clay ridge tiles, brick chimneys over 2 gable ends and 2 lateral chimneys. The left hand gable end has large external breast and the rear wall has large lateral breast. Plan T - shaped in the C17 with the principal axis of the house running east-west and the head of the T retained from a truncated medieval house as a cross wing, extending as a parlour wing over a cellar at the rear with principal chamber with plaster barrel ceiling over and remodelled in the late C17 as a stair hall at the front with pantry/buttery between. What may have been a service wing of the medieval house, left, was remodelled in the C17 to become kitchen, far left, with enormous gable hearth and hall right, with lateral rear fireplace. A former through passage between is entered from a circa late C17 2-storey porch at the front (north). In the C18 a hip ended outbuilding was added behind the parlour or possibly the lower end of the medieval house was rebuilt as an outbuilding, probably a cider loft, incorporating some older roof timbers. Also probably in the C18 a service wing was added at right angles in front of the kitchen and a wide window was cut on the south side of the kitchen to replace the 2-light former mullioned window which was altered to become a doorway into the service wing. Two storeys, but cross wing right has 2 storeys over cellar plus attic. Irregular roughly north front with projecting gable end of wing in front left and gable and cross wing with lesser projection right, porch with oriel bay window over in left hand angle and otherwise irregularly disposed window openings. Circa early C17 4- centred arched doorway with straight chamfers and stops, old ledged door. Circa late C17 porch formed by slate hung gabled 1st floor window projection carried on 2 Tuscan granite columns; ogee moulded plates form cornice under. The 4-light wooden mullioned window with side lights is probably original and has circa late C18 casements with horizontal glazing bars. (It is easy to see here how this type of casement evolved from leaded casements tied to saddle bars). The right hand sidelight has leaded panes. The two ground floor windows on the right originally had 3 lights but the mullions are missing. The 3 openings to the 1st floor have rubble jambs and are probably contemporary with the porch when possibly the eaves were heightened, or later. The square middle window has, like the ground floor openings, a circa late C19 6-pane horned sash. The gable end of the cross wing, right, has 2 mullioned windows, formerly with 2 lights but centre mullions removed, one to light basement but blocked just above ground level and one at mid-floor level to light stair, now with C19 6 pane horned sash. The 2 light casement above and the circa early C19 12-pane horizontal sliding sash to the gable are in openings, probably cut when the present late C17 stair was inserted. Irregular 3-window west front plus single storey 2-window service lean-to on right. Circa late medieval ogee headed single light slit window at ground floor left; C17 2-light mullioned window with mullion removed, left of middle and tall C20 3-light mullioned window right. Tall fixed light stair window above ogee-headed light, square window opening towards middle and large square opening to former principal chamber right, both with horned sashes. The lean-to windows are circa early C19 12- pane horizontal sliding sashes. Rear has 3 windows to 1st floor, one to the left of the lateral hall stack and two on the right, all circa late C18 horizontal sliding sashes with crown glass, 3-light left and middle and 2-light right. The former through passage doorway, under the middle window, has chamfered lintel but rubble jambs. Shallow arched wooden frame within probably contemporary with porch; old ledged door; semi-circular step in front of doorway may be a former door arch. 16-pane hornless sash left of chimney breast; C18 32-pane hornless sash in very wide opening at far right and small window opening possibly cut C20 left of doorway. The parlour wing and cider house project from the left hand side. Wide rubble jambed doorway with internal splay leads into the cellar below the parlour. Above this doorway, overgrown with ivy, is a blocked 4-light mullioned window. The cider house, adjoining the cellar and parlour but with much lower eaves, has central ground floor doorway and doorway at 1st floor left approached by straight flight of granite steps at right angles. Under the steps are 2 square niches, possibly for geese. Interior inspected to ground floor and cellar only: Two circa early C18 3-panel doors survive in the kitchen, a shellheaded niche beside the parlour hearth and a closed-well circa late C17 stair with square newel posts, large turned ball finials and plain panelled dado. Earlier features possibly hidden. The cellar has cobbled floor with drain and two stone monoliths set in the ground in the west wall presumably so that the higher end of the cellar (north) could be used for animal standings, possibly stabling, or used as a shippon. There is a domed granite base to one of the vertical wooden floor supports. A Richard Roscruc of Roscruc is documented in 1284 and Anthony Roscruge in 1684 (information from occupiers). An inventory of 1605, mentions a parlour at Roskruge (Chesher), so if the remodelling of the house took place some years before this possibly the doorway within the porch and the mullioned windows and therefore much of the structure may be C16. This is a fascinating house with an unusual and complicated plan development which possibly would be better understood following a careful survey to produce measured plans and elevations. However, Roskruge survives little altered since the C19 and is a rare early house in this part of Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SW7756523575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65359

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing