This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Old Chapel

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: The Old Chapel

List entry Number: 1141703

Location

The Old Chapel, St. Anthony-in-Meneage, Cornwall, TR12 8HE

The listed building(s) is/are shown coloured blue on the attached map. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’), structures attached to or within the curtilage of the listed building (save those coloured blue on the map) are not to be treated as part of the listed building for the purposes of the Act.

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Anthony-in-Meneage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Mar-2015

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 65346

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

A former Bible Christian chapel, built in 1829, later used as a Methodist chapel, and converted into a dwelling in the late 1970s. The attached late-C20 flat-roof extension and adjoining C19 hipped-roof former outbuilding to the west are excluded from the listing.

Reasons for Designation

The Old Chapel in St. Anthony-in-Meneage, excluding late-C20 flat-roof extension and adjoining C19 hipped-roof former outbuilding to the west, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Historic interest: as an early-C19 building, it is one of the earliest surviving chapels of the Bible Christian movement; * Architectural interest: it is a characterful survival that exemplifies the modest vernacular style typical of the Bible Christian movement; * Legibility: despite alterations, the form of the former chapel can still be readily discerned in the surviving fabric. We have made it clear that the late-C20 alterations are not of special interest.

History

The Bible Christian movement was a society with roots within Wesleyan Methodism. Its founder, William Bryant (1778-1868), also known as O’Bryan, had been a Cornish miner and an itinerant Wesleyan minister from 1811-14. He travelled around Cornwall, particularly those parts which had not previously engaged with Methodism. In 1815, having been excluded from the Methodist church due to his vocal opposition to some of their policies, he founded a new nonconformist movement. Known initially as the Bryants after their founder, by the 1820s they were known as the Bible Christians. The movement grew and in 1827 it had 8,054 recorded members. Between 1827 and 29 membership declined, due in large part to disagreement over the society’s management and the subsequent departure of William Bryant from the church. However, membership later rallied and by the early C20 there were 32,202 members. In 1907 the society elected to become part of the United Free Methodist church.

The chapel in St. Anthony-in-Meneage was built in 1829 for the Bible Christian community, in the early stages of the movement’s development. The Tithe Map (circa 1840), shows a chapel with a rectangular footprint. The Second Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1907) shows it still in use as a Bible Christian Chapel and a small associated square building is depicted to the west. The chapel was taken over by the Methodists in 1907. It was also used for secular activities, including as a village hall. In 1973 the chapel was recorded as retaining internal fixtures and fittings, including a pulpit, box pews, a communion table (of later date) kept in a gated enclosure with turned railings in the upper half of the building and open benches in the centre of the chapel (probably late-C19 replacements). The walls were noted as being plain plaster with a shaped ceiling above. In the late 1970s the building was converted into a dwelling, at which time most of the internal fittings were removed. The chapel was joined to the small western building by a single-storey flat-roofed link and an enclosed porch was added to the east end. During the late C20/ early C21 all of the windows, including a rounded sash with gothic detailing in the south elevation, were replaced with uPVC. The roof of the former chapel was also recovered with modern slates and ridge tiles.

Details

A former Bible Christian chapel, built in 1829, later used as a Methodist chapel, and converted into a dwelling in the late 1970s. The attached late-C20 flat-roof extension and adjoining C19 hipped-roof former outbuilding to the west are excluded from the listing.

MATERIALS: granite stone rubble, partly white-washed and rendered, with a slate and red-clay tile roof.

PLAN: a rectangular footprint on an east-west axis, linked to a small square building to the west.

EXTERIOR: a single-storey building. The south elevation has one round-headed window opening. The north elevation has two rectangular window openings. A late-C20 lean-to is at the east end (formerly the entrance). The west end has two small, straight-headed windows under the eaves. All of the windows are uPVC replacements. The roof is a hipped slate construction. A small architecturally modest late-C20 flat-roofed extension (containing the modern entrance), acts as a link to a much altered C19 former outbuilding, both attached to the west. These structures are excluded from the listing.

INTERIOR: the interior of the chapel has retained its plain plaster walls and shaped ceiling and the C20 lean-to to the east is accessed through the partially blocked former chapel entrance way. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the internal partitions, fixtures and fittings that relate to the late-C20 domestic conversion are not of special architectural or historic interest.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beacham, P, Lake, J, A survey of nonconformist chapels in Cornwall
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)
Wickes, Michael J.L. (Author), The Westcountry Preachers: A new history of the Bible Christian Church (1815-1907), (2007)

National Grid Reference: SW7798124701

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141703 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:13:53.

End of official listing