RECTORY AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141824

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: RECTORY AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of RECTORY AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141824 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:34:58.

Location

Statutory Address: RECTORY AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Kilkhampton

National Grid Reference: SS 25271 10835

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 21 SE KILKHAMPTON

4/9 Rectory & adjoining Garden - Walls, Kilkhampton

GV II

House, formerly rectory. Mid C19. 2 builds. C17 rear outshuts. C19 build possibly by Sir Gilbert Scott. Whitewashed, roughcast range with hipped slate roof and brick chimneys, rear outshuts slatestone rubble with slate catslide roofs. Right-hand end has central stair hall plan, kitchen in rear right outshut and 2- storey, 3-bay symmetrical front with an open pediment to the central bay. Porch with cornice carried on octagonal timber pillars, double front door with 3 flush panels to each leaf under fanlight. Ground floor windows pairs of 8-pane timber sashes under smooth rendered segmentally-headed architraves. First floor windows similar timber sashes. Later addition of one bay at left end has similar sashes, rectangular architrave to ground floor window. Overhanging eaves with modillion cornice. Entrance into hall and through arch into stair hall. Geometrical stair with stick balusters and wreathed handrail. Stairwell ceiling has rudimentary plaster groin vault. Ground floor rooms of right-hand range have shutters, ground floor room right has tall round-arched recess on right wall supported on fluted engaged columns. 6-panel doors to 3 front first floor rooms, door with 8 fielded panels to rear right bedroom. Servants' stair to rear. Rear right outshut contains massive stack and granite, 4-centred, moulded arched fireplace lintel with mouldings in the spandrels. Rear left outshut, used as store, has partition wall of stud with brick nogging. Garden walls of cob on stone with slate coping project south-east from south-east corner of C18 range, and north from rear right outshut, that to the north contains a round-headed polyphant archway and doorframe said to have originated at Stowe, built 1679. The parsonage at Kilkhampton is attributed to Scott in The Builder, c.1858 and roughly contemporary with Scott's restoration of the Church (q.v.), David Cole, The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott (1980).

Listing NGR: SS2527110835

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 64818

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cole, D, The Work of Sir Gilbert Scott, (1980)
'The Builder' in The Builder, ()

End of official listing