This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ANDERTON AND BARN ADJOINING AT WEST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ANDERTON AND BARN ADJOINING AT WEST

List entry Number: 1141830

Location

ANDERTON AND BARN ADJOINING AT WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Launcells

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 64840

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 20 NE LAUNCELLS

6/29 Anderton and Barn 29.9.61 adjoining at west

- II*

Farmhouse and barn. C15 origins, C17 alterations. Dressed freestone and granite, some cob to the rear, slate roofs, scantle slate to left; left gable end projecting dressed freestone stack, brick chimneys in ridge. C15 4-bay solar to left of through passage, evidence of C17 remodelling with 3 room and through passage plan, roof of higher end of range raised late C17. Rear right cob outshut under catslide roof forms L plan. North-facing 2-storey front with off centre porch formed from 2 slates over slight recess at junction between higher and lower end. Fine ovolo-moulded doorframe with urn stops, elaborate front door with geometric decoration formed by incised lines between studs. Range to left of door has 1636 datestone. Windows: ground floor left has two 3-light granite mullioned windows with hoodmoulds and label stops, window to far left retains casements. Ground floor right of higher range has 2-light mullioned window with high transom. Each light below transom has 12 panes, some glazing bars above transom missing, timber lintel. 3 irregularly-spaced first floor windows: each 2-light, with high transom and 3 panes per light below the transom. Timber sash above porch with 6 panes to upper sash, 9 panes to lower sash. To right of porch the roofline is lower, the front rendered above first floor sill level, evidence that roof has been raised. Ground floor window 3-light timber casement, 3 panes per light. Further blocked opening to ground floor right. First floor window 2-light timber casement, 8 panes per light. Slate roof of lower end painted with bitumen. Through passage has slate floor, heavily moulded cross beam to right, and roll-moulded axial beams. Timber doorway with 4-centred arch and foliage carved in the spandrels leads into ground floor room right, which has massive blocked fireplace with 2 cloam ovens. Rooms to left of passage divided up in C20. C20 fireplace to left gable end stack possibly conceals earlier fireplace. Remains of moulded plaster cornice to rear of ground floor rooms left. Roof to right of through passage replaced C20, and raised. Roof to left retains 4 arched brace trusses with mouldings. No evidence of smoke-blackening. 1 truss, complete with collar mortised into principals, moulded braces, and 2 tiers of hollow chamfered purlins, is at original lower level. Truss to left has lost 1 brace; next truss to left intact with hollow chamfered wind brace, fourth truss has collar and braces missing. Roofspace at higher end beyond stack inaccessible at time of resurvey. Ground floor room left had elaborate plaster ceiling with wreath of fruit and flowers, ceiling removed 1940s. Anderton was owned by the Anderton family and sold to Edmund Speccott. Speccot's daughter, Elizabeth, married into the Spoure family and the house is illustrated in the Spoure Book, compiled 1698. The illustration shows that the present range and barn projecting forward from the right gable end were part of an enclosed courtyard. Barn retains opening in east wall shown in Spoure Book, the illustration also shows cylindrical chimneys to house and formal walled garden to east. A front lateral stack, now missing, is shown with inserted mullioned windows indicating an altered plan. The present front wall of the left hand end may have been moved forward since 1698. The Spoure Book, copy in the Cornwall County Record Office, F.S.3/93.

Listing NGR: SS2773105746

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Spoure Book, (1698)

National Grid Reference: SS 27731 05746

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:39:28.

End of official listing