This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COMPLEX OF FARM BUILDINGS WEST OF PECKERS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COMPLEX OF FARM BUILDINGS WEST OF PECKERS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1141962

Location

COMPLEX OF FARM BUILDINGS WEST OF PECKERS FARMHOUSE, GREEN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Canfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352687

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD GREEN STREET

2/8 COMPLEX OF FARM BUILDINGS W OF PECKERS FARMHOUSE

GV II

Integrated range of farm buildings, late C19. Yellow stock bricks ornamented with bands of red bricks and red moulded wall tiles, with roofs of slate. 'A mid-Victorian "industrial" version of the familiar U-pattern farmstead which established itself in the late eighteenth century' (Harvey). Stables, 2 barns, shelter shed, dairy and ancillary buildings forming a square yard open towards the farmhouse on the SE, and a separate block of pigsties and wagon shed forming an L-plan to the SW, the intermediate foldyard enclosed by brick walls between the blocks. NE elevation - rear wall of one block divided into 5 bays by brick pilasters, with a band of red bricks and red moulded tiles of foliate design below the eaves; and the gable end of one barn with 2 brick pilasters, the pediment outlined by a band of red moulded tiles of egg-and-dart design, with a central recessed square panel containing red moulded tiles of foliate design. Both barns retain all original doors and winnowing boards. The shelter shed on SW side of main block retains a scalloped wooden canopy, although blocked in below. All interiors are in unusually intact condition, with original feed chutes and other features. The whole complex was built between 1874 and 1895 (O.S. maps), the main block probably very early in this period, the pigsty block probably added later in the period, by the Maryon-Wilson family, landlords, to serve a tenant farm which comprised 231 acres in 1847 (tithe award). Harvey: letter of 23 December 1982 from Dr. Nigel Harvey, Honorary Librarian of the Royal Agricultural Society of England.

Listing NGR: TL5718319125

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 57183 19125

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141962 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 08:37:01.

End of official listing