EDWARDS HOMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142326

Date first listed: 22-Dec-1997

Statutory Address: EDWARDS HOMES, 10-14, JAMES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of EDWARDS HOMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 09:17:41.

Location

Statutory Address: EDWARDS HOMES, 10-14, JAMES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SY 67564 78570

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEYMOUTH

SY6778NE JAMES STREET 873-1/23/203 (East side) Nos.10-14 (Consecutive) Edwards' Homes

GV II

Group of 5 almshouses. 1894, endowed by Sir Henry Edwards. Broadmayne brick with Portland stone dressings, slate roofs with scalloped clay ridges. PLAN: part of a larger group which starts in Rodwell Road (qv), this section has a T-plan block set gable-end to Rodwell Road, with a detached pair at the far end, all in a Tudor Revival style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, each with 1 window under a flush face gable. All windows are 3-light casements with stone transom and mullions, alternating flush jamb stones and plain lintel; those at ground floor have small labels, continued over the doors to Nos 10 & 11; the upper lights have small-scale diamond panes in cast-iron, and the lower lights small rectangular panes. Above the first-floor window to No.14, and extending above the lintel is a panel with the date 1894. The doors, on stone steps, and paired to Nos 10 & 11, have 3 small panels below glazed lights to 4-centred heads under a deep transom light with diagonal panes. A rock-faced stone plinth, with a thin stone band to the brickwork at approx 0.6m above it, and a similar sill band at first floor. The gables, with a blind lancet to stone sill and head, are coped, on kneelers, and with roll-mould saddle-stones. At each party wall and end gables are raised coped verges, and the brick stacks have high stone cappings with crenellations. Above each of the doors is a Portland stone sunk panel with the monogram EH and a lion's head, surmounted by a label with a raised centre. Nos 10 & 11 are 3-panel doors with 3 upper glazed panels to 4-centred heads under a deep transom light; above these are Portland stone panels with a carved lion's head, and EH monogram, under ogee heads. The doors to Nos 13 & 14 are in the internal angle to the short projecting wing, with a slated porch on deep Portland stone brackets. There are original cast-iron downpipes with square hopper-heads, ovolo-mould gutters. The return to Rodwell Road has a large external stack, with stone offset at first-floor level, and a niche with decorative terracotta tiles inset, and below a gabled 'label'; the stack has been cropped below ridge height. To each side, at ground



floor, is a single-light window to detail as the main front. Various rear projections, and single-light windows at each level. On the outer corner of the building, set on the splay, is a large Portland stone panel, to a 'nodding-ogee' head, above a shield with coat of arms, and 'Perseverance', inscribed: THESE HOMES WERE ERECTED AND ENDOWED BY SIR HENRY EDWARDS. A.D.1894.' Sir Henry was Mayor of Weymouth, MP for the constituency, and a considerable benefactor in the town. INTERIOR: not inspected. These almshouses are richly detailed, and externally remain little altered; there is a further almshouse group in similar detail, in Rodwell Avenue (qv).



Listing NGR: SY6756478570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 467690

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing