This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST EDMUND

List entry Number: 1142338

Location

CHURCH OF ST EDMUND, WESTGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Oct-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467702

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NW WESTGATE STREET 639-1/15/681 (South side) 07/08/52 Church of St Edmund (Formerly Listed as: WESTGATE STREET (South side) Church of St Edmunds (Roman Catholic))

GV II*

Catholic church. 1837. By Charles Day of Worcester; in Grecian style. Red brick with a stone-faced facade. 3 bays. A projecting central entrance portico with 2 tall fluted Ionic columns in antis is approached by a flight of stone steps. Plain red brick to sides with a stone cornice band and a row of 5 diamond-leaded attic windows in recessed reveals. INTERIOR: the surround to the main entrance was a marble fireplace, a composite piece, with doors belonging to the 2 altar surrounds of c1735, which were originally doorcases. All these features came from Rushbrooke Hall in 1959. The pilastered interior, remodelled in 1877, has a partly glazed and deeply coved panelled ceiling with rosettes. The short sanctuary is behind a screen of 2 Ionic columns. To the west of the church is the apsidal Blessed Sacrament Chapel. This was originally built as a private chapel and formed part of the adjoining Presbytery (qv) but was formally licensed for Roman Catholic worship in 1791, later falling into disuse. It was linked to the church and re-dedicated in 1979. A Lombard frieze surrounds the walls, which are rendered. A contemporary crypt runs below the whole of the church and is fully used for community activities. 2 red brick arcades of shallow rounded arches support the upper floor. On the north side 3 arches are blocked; they contain reset early C19 gravestones commemorating some of the Jesuits who were responsible for the C18 and early C19 organisation of the Roman Catholic congregation in the Bury St Edmunds area. (Rowe J: The Story of Catholic Bury St Edmunds, Coldham, etc.: bury St Edmunds: 1980-: 14).





Listing NGR: TL8534063744

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Rowe, J, The Story of Catholic Bury St Edmunds Coldham etc, (1980), 14

National Grid Reference: TL 85340 63744

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142338 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:43:31.

End of official listing