TRECARNE AND GARDEN WALL, GATE AND RAILINGS TO FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142719

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: TRECARNE AND GARDEN WALL, GATE AND RAILINGS TO FRONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRECARNE AND GARDEN WALL, GATE AND RAILINGS TO FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142719 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 01:57:00.

Location

Statutory Address: TRECARNE AND GARDEN WALL, GATE AND RAILINGS TO FRONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Advent

National Grid Reference: SX 09597 80542

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ADVENT SX 08 SE 4/20 Trecarne and garden wall, gate and - railings to front II

House and garden wall, gate and railings. Circa late C16. Stone rubble. Rag slate roof on front slope and scantle slate roof on rear slope with gable ends. Stone rubble stack on left hand gable end and gabled projecting stone rubble rear lateral hall stack on right. Stone rubble stack to outshot on rear left. Plan remodelled. Probably originally of 2 rooms or more with a through passage; the kitchen at the lower end on left heated by a gable end stack with cloam oven now removed and large hall at the higher end on the right heated by a projecting rear lateral stack. It is uncertain whether the house continued further to the right. There is a circa late C16 arch in the rear wall towards the higher end of the kitchen and a similar arch in the left hand gable end wall of the same room. These arches may have been reset. In circa late C17 a dairy was added to the rear of the hall and in circa late C18 the 2 storey outshot across the rear elevation was probably remodelled. This outshot contains a stair, to the rear of the passage which may be on the site of an earlier C17 stair originally accommodated in a stair projection and remodelled in the late C18 and again in the mid C19. In circa early C20 an extension of 1-room plan was added on the left hand gable end, set back from the front elevation. Probably contemporary with this the kitchen on left was partitioned with a corridor giving access to this new room. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3 window front. 2 large 2-light granite mullion windows with hollow chamfered mullions and jambs and hood moulds flank a 4-centred granite arch with a deep cavetto moulding, rectangular surround and hood mould; C20 door. First floor has three 3-light granite mullion windows arranged at different heights. In the left hand gable end wall of the earlier range is a blocked segmental arch with hollow chamfer and run-out stop on right hand jamb. The jambs are of granite and the head of the arch is of greenstone. A blocked square window with granite surround originally lit the attic. Early C20 2 storey extension of stone rubble with slate roof set back on left. The rear elevation is also unspoilt with a 2 storey outshot with blocked square granite window to first floor in left hand end and altered 2-light granite window lighting dairy on rear right. Circa late C18 3-light casement lighting kitchen on rear left. Interior : The through passage has been remodelled with the left hand partitions altered to form a wide hall. The kitchen to the left has a large fireplace with roughly cut granite lintel of considerable size and roughly cut granite jambs, the right hand jamb remodelled and the fireplace has been partly blocked on the right hand side. The hall to right is a large room, the fireplace on the rear wall blocked with a C20 fireplace. Within the outshot on rear left is a blocked granite chamfered segmental arch which originally led through into the kitchen. Circa C18 roof of 9 bays with the principals halved, lap jointed and pegged at the apices and the collars lapped and pegged onto the face of the principals. The purlins are slightly trenched. Garden wall to front with C19 iron railings and gate. Head of a cusped 2-light circa C15 window reset in barn on north-west. Trecarne was held by John Trecarne in 1469; in 1539 held in moieties by William Carnsew gent and in the early C17 the entirety became vested in Richard Carnsew gent, afterwards Sir Richard Carnsew of Bokelly (qv. Bokelly, St Kew Parish) who died in 1629. Maclean, Sir Charles Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1875

Listing NGR: SX0959780542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68463

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)

End of official listing