GIMBLETTS MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142792

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: GIMBLETTS MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GIMBLETTS MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 11:50:10.

Location

Statutory Address: GIMBLETTS MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Laneast

National Grid Reference: SX2415883406

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANEAST SX 28 SW 4/135 Gimblett's Mill - GV II

Mill with attached miller's house; now house. Circa mid - late C17; extended and remodelled circa 1807, with additions of later C19 and C20 alterations. Painted stone rubble. Slate roof with ridge tiles and gable end to left, hipped to right. Rear lateral stack with rubble shaft with slate weathering and pitched slates; rear lateral stack with rubble shaft to the early C19 addition. Plan: The C17 building has a one-room plan mill at the left end, formerly with an overshot wheel at the left end driven from a leat at the rear. The mill is built into the bank at the rear, with access directly into the loft. The miller's house is attached to right, of 1-room plan, heated from a rear lateral stack, and with the entrance at the right side of the front. The entrance probably led to a passage with screen partition to left; probably circa early C19 a straight stair was inserted in the rear of the passage, dividing to right and left at first floor. Circa 1807 (dated from a coin found over a window) a one-room plan addition was made at the right end, heated from a rear lateral stack. This room became the kitchen. Later in the C19, 2 further additions were made at the right end; at the front a single storey scullery/wash house, with a stack at the front, and a small unheated single storey addition to rear right with gable end at the right side. Exterior: 2 storeys, asymmetrical 3-window front; all windows are C20 wooden casements with small panes, set in the original apertures. The mill is to left; at ground floor there is a 2-light window with shutters, unglazed, and a stable-type door, both with slatestone segmental arches. These stone arches are a feature of the early C19 remodelling. The jamb of the door has an inset slate with lettering in lower case: R Tinney 1833 (the last numeral not completely legible) and 1918; these are markings for flood levels. At first floor there is a 3-light 6-pane casement with slate cill. To right is the miller's house. At ground floor there is a central plank door with segmental slatestone arch, and to left a 2-light 12-pane casement with segmental slatestone arch. To right there is a 2-light 6-pane casement with flat stone arch; this is inserted in the original doorway into the C17 house. At first floor there are two 2-light 6-pane casements. There is a straight joint in the masonry to right to the addition of early C19; this is 2-storey, with 3-light 8-pane casement with segmental slatestone arch at ground floor and 2-light 6-pane casement at first floor. Projecting to front right is the scullery/wash house, with 4-pane casement at the left side, stable-type door at the right side and stack with rubble shaft at the front. At the right end, to right, there is a single storey addition with gable end with 12-pane casement, single light to rear. At the left end of the main range is the wheel pit, with a socket remaining in the wall for the watershaft. The wheel and all machinery were removed circa 1957. The upper level of the gable end is rendered, with 2-light 6-pane casememt to left. At the rear, the original house has granite quoins to left and large external weathered stack. The rear of the mill room has C20 door leading directly into the loft. Interior: The ground floor room of the original house has large main ceiling beam with deep chamfer, other cross beams chamfered and roughly hewn. The original front doorway has a wooden lintel, chamfered, with run-out stops; the present central doorway and the window both have cambered wooden lintels with chamfer and run-out stops. The rear lateral fireplace has replaced wooden lintel, cloam oven to rear with clay door and salt hole in the wall to left. The straight stair along the right side of the room has been rebuilt, and divides to right and left at first floor. There is a solid manonry wall between this room and the early C19 addition to right. The room to right has slate floor and rear fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel and cloam oven to right and left. The roof trusses have been completely replaced in C20.

Listing NGR: SX2415883406

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68345

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing