CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1142944
Date first listed:
22-Nov-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142944.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 18:00:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY NAME

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Boyton
National Grid Reference:
SX 32002 92047

Details

BOYTON SX 39 SW 5/12 Church of the Holy Name

22.11.60

GV II*

Parish church. Circa C14 origins restored in 1876-7 probably by J.P. St Aubyn. Stone rubble with moulded plinths. Slate roof, nave and chancel in one. Plan: Early Norman font and piscina possibly early C13 (Sedding). Lower part of tower circa early C14 and 5-bay south aisle circa C15. Tower partly rebuilt 1692-4 (datestone) and church restored in 1876-7. Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet and octagonal turrets. Carved slate stone on tower records that William Symmons of Bradridge (died 1692) gave £100 towards the building of the tower. Circa late C19 window inserted in west door. 2-light belfry openings with slate louvers. 3-light C15 Perpendicular tracery to nave, chancel and south aisle with C19 Perpendicular tracery towards west end of north wall and at west end of south aisle. Circa C16 arch to south porch with C18 sundial above and moulded 2-centred arch to south door. Interior: Plastered walls. Circa C15 waggon roofs with moulded ribs and carved bosses; east end of south aisle nave, elaborate with carved ribs. 5-bay C15 south aisle arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers and segmental granite arches. Circa late C15 or early C16 remains of chancel screen. Early Norman font (illustrated by Sedding) and crude possibly C13 piscina. Carved soffits of lintels above south aisle windows probably original and insitu. C19 furnishings. Painted timber Coat of Arms of Lovis family (qv Beardon) with motto 'Love is good if in the Lord'. Memorials including those to Richard Jenn of Westcott, 1795 and W. Symmons of Bradridge 1692. Several C18 and C19 headstones and ledger stones reset against outer south aisle wall. Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition 1970. Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall, 1909.

Listing NGR: SX3200292047

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
67901
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06397/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Rowling. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].