BARN PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143495

Date first listed: 20-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: BARN PARK, BARNPARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143495 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 18:16:03.

Location

Statutory Address: BARN PARK, BARNPARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Forrabury and Minster

National Grid Reference: SX0970590586

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORRABURY AND BARNPARK ROAD, Boscastle SW 0990 MINSTER 77/17 Barn Park - II

House now divided into two. Circa 1820s, possibly with earlier origins, extended in mid C19. Slate stone rubble, rendered and stuccoed on front elevation. Slate roof with gable end on front left and hipped end on front right. Brick stack in valley between left and right hand ranges and projecting side lateral stack on right. Particularly interesting C19 plan although the thick wall and projecting lateral stack on the right hand wall may indicate earlier origins. Overall 'L' shaped plan; comprises range on right with entrance on right leading to entrance hall with reception room on left, central stair hall and main reception room across rear of right hand range. Range on left comprised service range, extended in circa mid C19 on front left with one-room range. Additional service rooms including dairy and wash- home in cellar. Bedrooms on first floor of both ranges lead off central landing running across home. Two storeys and basement. Regular 1:2 window front. Gable end of mid C19 extension on front left with partly blocked opening with dressed stone segmental arch and C20 glazed doors on ground floor and replacement sash in similar arched opening above. The right hand range is set back and flanked by incised pilaster strips, the right hand projecting. Renewed 12 pane sash and C20 panelled door in partly blocked opening with two renewed 12-pane sashes on first floor. The insurance plaque 'West of England, Exeter' on front elevation. Interior with C19 features largely complete including moulded cornices, doors and doorcases with reeded architraves. Circa mid to late C19 marble chimneypiece in main reception room and open well stair with simple turned newel, stick balusters and moulded rail. Timber newel back stair. Basement with copper and dairy intact. First floor with ornate plaster rose above stair wall, plaster carbelled brackets to three arches on landing, moulded cornices. Barn Park was the residence of John Rosevear, general merchant, who was responsible for the erection of Boscastle Chapel in 1801 and for the rebuilding of the chapel in circa 1823-5. Rosevear was a particularly controversial figure in the Camelford and Wadebridge Methodist circuit. Later residence of W.S. Rosevear, deputy Lieutenant and Magistrate of Cornwall in circa 1870s. Polsue, J. Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1872, reprinted 1974. Volume IV Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743 - 1963, 1963.

Listing NGR: SX0970590586

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68680

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Shaw, T, Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, (1963)

End of official listing