This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

POLKINGHORNE FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING CARTSHED AND FORMER STABLE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POLKINGHORNE FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING CARTSHED AND FORMER STABLE

List entry Number: 1143726

Location

POLKINGHORNE FARMHOUSE AND ADJOINING CARTSHED AND FORMER STABLE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70103

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GWINEAR-GWITHIAN SW 53 NE 4/6 Polkinghorne Farmhouse and adjoining cartshed and former stable

GV II Farmhouse, adjoining cartshed and former stable. Possibly C17 core, remodelled probably in the C18, early C19 and late C19. Granite rubble with granite dressings; slate hanging to porch. Scantle slate roofs with brick chimneys over the gable ends. Cast-iron ogee gutters. Hipped corrugated asbestos roof over the adjoining cartshed and stable. Plan: irregular L-shaped plan house with parlour wing at right angles to rear right and single storey cartshed and stable adjoining at right angles to left and projecting at the front. The main range has shallower depth one-room plan cottage slightly set back on the left and an L-shaped 3 room house on the right with a C19 lean-to in the rear angle. The stair hall is on the left-hand side of the rear parlour. Exterior: 2 storeys. Overall 5 window north-west front: slightly irregular 2 window front of cottage, slightly set back on left and nearly symmetrical 1:1:1 bay front of house on right. The cottage has circa early C19 6-panel door at left; 16- pane hornless sashes of probably same date to first floor and later 6-pane hornless sash to ground floor right. House has central doorway with circa late C19 panelled door; circa late C19 horned sashes. Late C19 hipped-roofed 2-storey porch is open at ground floor and carried on 2 reused C17 granite columns of approximately Doric order. A map of 1792 shows a porch-like projection in the left-hand window position. The stable wing, far left has openings facing left and the only window opening has a circa early C19 12-pane horizontal-sliding sash. Interior: house has features of circa 1890 and has been little altered since. Earlier features possibly hidden.

Listing NGR: SW5977737741

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 59777 37741

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 08:28:43.

End of official listing