MEDROS FARMHOUSE METHROSE FARMHOUSE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- MEDROS FARMHOUSE
- Statutory Address:
- METHROSE FARMHOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144215.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2020 at 12:06:25.
- Statutory Address:
- MEDROS FARMHOUSE
- Statutory Address:
- METHROSE FARMHOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 05065 56312
SX 05 NE
- Medros Farmhouse and Methrose
7.1.52 Farmhouse (formerly known as
Farmhouse, now two farmhouses. Circa 1400, with parlour wing to early C16; dated 1676 on plasterwork in chamber over parlour, with remodelling of this period, including staircase in parlour wing. Kitchen to rear of parlour wing probably of late C17, and dairy addition to rear of lower end room; later additions and alterations, including re-roofing of late C20. Granite rubble, parlour wing, hall bay and stacks in granite ashlar, granite dressings. Partly rendered Spanish slate roofs, with front lateral stack to later kitchen. Plan : The house has been divided in 2, with the hall and lower end now Medros, the parlour wing and original inner room as Methrose; the house could possibly have been used in this way in the late C17, as it is possible that the lower end and the later kitchen would have provided facilities for 2 families. The original house had a through passage, with lower end room to right, heated by gable end stack, and open hall to left, with inner room to end left, probably originally heated by gable end stack, the thickness of the wall at this point indicating possible flue position. There is a recess in the rear wall of the hall which may be the position of the original hall window in the C15, before the projecting hall bay was built in the early C16; this window may have been closed as part of a re-orientation of the house, with the reconstruction of what is now the rear through passage doorway. The rear passage doorway may have originally been similar to the surviving doorway from the passage to the lower end room. Circa early C16, the hall bay and the front lateral stack were built. At this time, the house may have been entered from the north, with the parlour wing and courtyard to rear south. Circa early C16, the parlour wing of one-room plan and 2 storeys was built at right angles in front of the inner room; the ground floor room was heated by a gable end stack to the outer side, and the first floor room by a gable end stack at the junction with the inner room; access through a door in the front corner of the hall. The parlour wing has a stair tower to the outer side, probably of the original build. In 1676, the parlour wing was remodelled, dated on plasterwork in upper chamber, with a barrel vault ceiling to the upper chamber, now concealed, and additional panelling in the ground floor room, of which only the frieze survives. In the late C17, a rear kitchen block of 2-room plan was added to the rear of the parlour wing, heated by stack to outer side, and perhaps at this time the original inner room took on its present use as pantries. Later additions include a single storey outhouse/dairy to the rear of the lower end room, possibly of late C17, with an open through passage, a single storey rubble addition to the gable end of the lower end, as an outhouse, and a single storey outshut to the rear of the hall, concealing the rear passage door. In the late C18 or early C19 a straight stair was inserted in the lower end room, along the front wall. The early range is partly of 2 storeys, with single storey hall to left and 2-storey lower end to right; all under one sloping roof-line, the first floor rooms being over the entry and the the lower end, mostly in the roof space. The porch is of squared rubble with pitched slate roof, stone benches to sides, inner 4-panelled door set in opening which was possibly originally wider. Raking dormer above in chamfered granite surround, probably re-sited, with stoolings for 2 mullions. Lower end has 4- pane light with slate cill at ground floor, 2-light casement of 3 panes each light under eaves. Gable end brick stack. Hall to left has front lateral external stack in granite ashlar, with weathering and tall ashlar shaft with cornice; roof level slightly raised over canted hall bay to left, with 3 lights to front and one to right side, with chamfered mullions and concave moulded surround, C20 stained glass; the left side of the bay is butted against and the parlour wing. The right gable end of the lower end has single storey rubble addition, renewed in C20 concrete blocks with corrugated iron roof; the front has a blocked window with chamfered granite cill. To the rear, the lower end has at ground floor a C20 2-light casement and 8-pane light, with slate cills, small 2-light casement under eaves. Attached to rear of lower end, single storey rubble outhouse/dairy with slurried slate roof; this has an open through passage and unglazed window under eaves to rear. The rear of the passage and hall has a single storey rendered outshut, with 2 C20 windows to rear, door and window to side; this encloses the rear of the through passage. To the right is the rear of the original inner room, with 2-light window opening at ground floor, one side glazed and one side as a ventilation window to pantry; raking dormer above with 6-pane sash. The parlour wing is of 2 storeys,, front in granite ashlar, right gable end and rear in rubble, with left gable end rendered. At the front, the ground floor has continous hood mould over 2 windows,, 4-light and 2-light, both with chamfered mullions and surround, some iron stanchions remaining; first floor has 3-light similar window without hood moulds, varied glazing, some leaded lights. Each gable end has granite ashlar stack with cornice and shaped top. The left gable end has raised coped verges, blocked single light at first floor left with chamfered granite surround. The right gable end has moulded string course at upper level. The rear has the roof pitch extended to left over the stair tower, which has the rear wall partially rebuilt in C20 concrete blocks, with C20 half-glazed door and 4-pane light. Attached to rear left and in the same axis as the parlour wing, the late C17 kitchen block, which extends as far as the stair tower. This is single storey, with a large 4-pane sash on the side facing the stair tower. It was re-roofed in the early C20 with pitched roof of corrugated iron, and brick stack to rear; the gable end extends beyond the rear wall of the early range, and on the inner side there is a plain door and 4-pane casement, in chamfered granite surround, with remains of central mullion. Interior The front door to the passage has fleur-de-lys strap hinges to inner side. The rear passage doorway is moulded on the outer side, with wave moulding and hood mould, cushion and diavolo stops. The doorway in the passage to right, leading to the lower end room, is of three pieces of wood, chamfered, with a rounded arched head, a rare survival of a primitive doorway type. The lower end room has gable end fireplace, rebuilt in C20, formerly with oven; the windows to front and rear have chamfered cills. Straight stair to front of room. The hall has a 2-bay arched brace roof with internal jetty to passage side, the wall above the jetty of stud construction, with beams under jetty with stops at each end. Stud wall to passage. Granite floor. Recess in rear wall, formerly site of window, with C18 cupboard inserted with LH hinges. The front lateral fireplace has roll-moulded lintel and jambs, with vestigial ogee and flat stops. Granite candle bracket to side of moulded doorframe to doorway to original inner room; granite doorway with 3-centred arch, hollow-chamfered with domed stops, leading to parlour wing, a plain door with strap hinges on the parlour side. Along the outer side of the hall is the high seat with panelled back and panels along the top with carved leaves and flowers. In the parlour wing, the ground floor room has a framed ceiling of 4-bays, with heavy moulded beams, probably of the early C16; carved wood frieze, formerly with lower panelling, probably of the C17 remodelling of the parlour wing. C20 fireplace in outer gable end wall. The room was divided in the late C19, forming a passage from the entrance to the hall to the rear stair tower. To the rear of the passage, the doorway to the original inner room is moulded, with bar and scroll stops, narrow panelled door with heart-shaped catch. Stair tower has winder stair,with bobbin- turned balusters and turned newels, of C17. From the landing, there is a doorway to the room over the inner room, a 4-panelled door in similar moulded frame with pyramid stops. At the top of the stair, a doorframe with bar and scroll stops. The room over the parlour has plaster overmantel dated 1676, with coat of arms, shield and helm over, the arms with a quartering of the Kendal family, with scrolled leaves and pilasters. A lower ceiling was inserted in the late C19/early C20; the barrel vault remains in the roof space, trusses removed, moulded purlins remaining. The later C17 kitchen has fireplace on outer wall, with a flat granite lintel, hollow-chamfered, with handle-holes cut in the early C20 for stove. The inner room is used as pantries, partitioned in 2; there is one beam, chamfered with run-out stops, and the window also has a wooden lintel, chamfered with run-out stops. The width of the wall at what was originally the gable end indicates a former flue for gable end fireplace, now blocked. The house is an exceptionally fine example of a surviving-open hall, with many internal features of interest from all phases of development. It can be compared with the Old Post Office, Tintagel and Truthall, Sithney, for similar hall roofs. John Wesley was a friend of the then farmer, Mr Meager, and stayed here five or six times between 1755 and 1778. The courtyard walls, which are essential to the character of the house, are listed as a separate item. (Sources: Chesher, F. and V.: The Cornishman's House 1968. Gilbert : An Historical Survey of the County of Cornwall 1817. Jope, E.M.: Studies in Building History. John Wesley's Journals. Henderson Manuscript Collection, Royal Institution of Cornwall, Truro. Pierce, J.: The Wesley's in Cornwall. Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970).
Listing NGR: SX0506556312
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Chesher, V M, F J , , The Cornishmans House, (1968)
Gilbert, C S , An Historical Survey of the County of Cornwall, (1817)
Jope, E M, Studies in Building History Cornish Houses 1400-1700, (1961)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Wesley, J, John Wesleys Journals
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing