DRUMBURGH CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1144623
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
DRUMBURGH CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DRUMBURGH CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144623.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:04:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
DRUMBURGH CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Bowness
National Grid Reference:
NY 26577 59765

Details

NY 25 NE BOWNESS Drumburgh

6/22 Drumburgh Castle 11/4/67

I

Tower House, now farmhouse. C13, licence to crenellate granted to Robert le Brun 24 August 1307. Alterations originally dated 1518 with initials and coat of arms of Thomas Lord Dacre over entrance; further alterations between 1678 and 1681 for John Aglionby and C19 additions. Extremely thick walls of squared and coursed red sandstone (from the nearby Roman Wall) on chamfered plinth, parapet over entrance with carved stone eagle finials; steeply pitched graduated greenslate roof with coped gables, brick chimney stacks. 3 storeys (formerly 4 storeys), 5 bays; single-storey single-bay extension to left. C19 gabled brick porch with Welsh slate roof; to right is a blocked round-headed C13 window. C13 blocked round-headed ground floor entrance is partly covered by C16 or C17 external stone steps to first floor. 1517 entrance; iron-studded oak plank door could be original (with later internal lock dated and inscribed J.L. 1681) in pointed-arched and chamfered surround with carved stone panel of arms above. Ground floor and first floor sash windows with glazing bars in enlarged C16 openings. Continuous row of blocked slit vents above. Second floor C16 2-light stone-mullioned windows now have Yorkshire sashes with mullions removed; blocked third floor windows slightly above and between these windows. Rear wall has similar windows and blocked windows. End wall right, which was in danger of collapse, was completely taken down in the late 1970's and rebuilt in facsimile, with broad central buttress and corbelled-out battlemented parapet, which may have been the remains of medieval crenellation. Floor levels of interior changed in C16 and Cl7: many original features will be covered by later plasterwork. First floor C17 wood-panelled room. Interior of rebuilt end is entirely of breeze blocks and open from floor to roof; roof of king-post trusses could be C16. See Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913, pp202-3; Medieval Archaeology, vol xxiii, 1979, p270. Extension to left of Roman Wall stone and cobbles with greenslate roof. End wall has plank doors and slatted openings.

Listing NGR: NY2657759765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
71900
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 202-3
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 23, (1979), 270

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11652/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].