METHODIST CHURCH WITH ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL AND COACH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1144756
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1988
Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH WITH ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL AND COACH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of METHODIST CHURCH WITH ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL AND COACH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144756.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 19:54:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
METHODIST CHURCH WITH ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL AND COACH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Goran
National Grid Reference:
SW 98810 43130

Details

ST GORAN GORRAN HIGHLANES SW 94 SE 3/123 Methodist Church with attached - Sunday school and coach house

GV II

Methodist church with attached Sunday school and coach house. Circa 1816, with alterations and additions of 1862 and in the 1870s. Slatestone rubble with Pentewan stone dressings and quoins; the Sunday school and coach house have brick dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends. Plan: Single auditorium plan, with the entrance at the front gable end and ritual east to rear. Attached at the rear is a 2-storey addition, probably of 1862, with coach house and stabling at ground floor and Sunday school on the first floor. Exterior: The front gable end has C19 panelled double doors with cambered brick arch. Round-arched window above with Pentewan stone dressings and keystone, with 8-panes and Gothic glazing bars; circular brick recess above. At the left side the church has two round-arched windows with Pentewan stone arches and late C19 sashes with margin glazing. At the right side there are two similar round-arched windows with margin-glazing sashes. At the left side there is a straight joint in the masonry to the addition for coach house and Sunday school. There are plank double doors with timber lintel and brick relieving arch to left and a single half-glazed C19 door with sidelights and cambered brick arch to right. At first floor there are two late C19 margin-glazed sashes with cambered brick arches. The right side of the Sunday school has two similar sashes at first floor. At the rear there is a shallow 2-storey addition in brick, containing a stair with plank door at ground floor and late C19 margin-glazed sash with round arch at first floor. Interior: Not inspected, but may retain features of the early C19, such as panelling and church fittings. In 1814 Joseph Lawry of Tregarthen applied to the Bishop of Exeter for a license for a Wesleyan meeting house at Highlanes. The first trustees were appointed in 1816, by which time the building seems to have been completed. Sources: Hawkridge, C.: A History of Gorran.

Listing NGR: SW9881043130

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
71621
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hawkridge, C, A History of Gorran

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/04448/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Weller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].