This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JUST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JUST

List entry Number: 1144785

Location

CHURCH OF ST JUST, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Goran

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71594

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GORAN CHURCH STREET (east side), Gorran SX 0041 0141 Haven 5/96 Church of St Just 10.2.67 GV II*

Chapel of ease. C15; sold by Queen Elizabeth I in 1568; partially repaired in circa mid C18 and restored in 1885 for use as a chapel. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped verges; cross finial to east. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, with south doorway into the nave. West tower. Exterior: The nave and chancel are on a stone rubble plinth; the south side of the nave has a 2-light window to left and 3-light window to right, with cusped lights, square head and hood mould. The south doorway has 4-centred arch with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels with carved leaves, square hood mould with shield stops; C19 plank door with strap hinges. There is an image niche above the doorway with moulded ogee arch and cill carved with leaves. The north side has two 2-light windows with cusped ogee lights, square head and hood mould; rebuilt in C19. The east end of the chancel has 3-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred arch, hood mould and relieving arch, with cusped ogee lights. The west tower is on chamfered plinth, with canted stair tower with lancets to north; string course and embattled parapet. The west doorway has 4-centred arch, with roll- mouldings and recessed spandrels with carved shields, square hood mould with label stops; C19 door. 3-light Perpendicular west window with cusped ogee lights, hollow- moulded surround, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Cusped lancet with slate louvres above. The south side of the tower has two lancets with pierced slate ventilators; to east one cusped lancet. The battlements are raised over the stair tower. Interior: Slatestone rubble walls with Pentewan stone dressings. C19 wagon roof with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Tall 3-centred tower arch with shafts to sides with ring-moulded capitals. 3-centred arched chamfered doorway to north to tower stair with C19 door; this leads to a chamfered doorway at upper level. Late C19 wooden screen across an upper gallery. The windows in the nave have chamfered rere- arches, the one on the south side in Pentewan stone. The east window has 4-centred arched rere-arch. The chancel has 3-centred arched chamfered piscina to south; to east one aumbry at upper level and one at floor level with the interior of the aumbry below floor level. Carved stone image stand. Fittings: Late C19 benches in nave and C19 stone font. The altar rail is made of carved C15 roof timbers said to have come from the Church of St Goran (q.v.). After the Church of St Just was sold in 1568, it was used for secular purposes; in 1651, the fishermen were using it as a store for their tackle, but by 1745 it was described as a ruin. It was later used as a fish cellar, with an upper floor constructed, which was used as a meeting-room by the Independents. Sources: Pevsner N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Hawkridge, C.: A History of Gorran.

Listing NGR: SX0127041613

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hawkridge, C, A History of Gorran
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SX 01270 41613

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144785 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 06:25:48.

End of official listing