CHURCH OF ST PATRICK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145258

Date first listed: 06-Feb-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, BAMPTON GRANGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PATRICK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:56:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PATRICK, BAMPTON GRANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Eden (District Authority)

Parish: Bampton

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: NY 52157 18040

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for the following:-

NY 51 NW BAMPTON

BAMPTON GRANGE 12/81 Church of St Patrick 6.2.68 II The grade shall be amended to read II* (star)

------------------------------------

BAMPTON BAMPTON GRANGE NY 51 NW 12/81 Church of St Patrick 6.2.68

- II Parish Church. 1726-28 on medieval site with 1804 restoration. Large blocks of calciferous sandstone with V-jointed quoins, partly rendered, on chamfered plinth. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials, being relaid in 1986. 7-bay with west square 3-storey tower/porch; 2-bay chancel. Tower has west double plank doors and overlight in pilastered surround under broken segmental pediment. 2-light round-headed windows and bell openings. Nave has tall round-headed windows in stone surrounds with false keystones. At the west end of both the north and south walls is a doorway, blocked on the south. Chancel has similar windows and a triple round-headed east window. At various points around the walls C18 gravestones have been set in. INTERIOR: 3-bay timber arcades of round arches of Tuscan columns. Barrel vaulted timber roof. C18 panelled pulpit and pews containing earlier panels one dated 1684. C18, C19 and C20 white marble wall plaques. Square C12 font bowl on C20 plinth, the bowl inscribed: 'MW 1662'. One C19 figurative stained-glass window. Chancel has C19 stained-glass east window by Ward and Hughes. C19 white marble wall plaques to members of the Noble family. Early C18 turned-baluster communion rails. Parish register records that the church was consecrated on 20 June 1728 by the Bishop of Carlisle. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, pp28-9.

Listing NGR: NY5215718040

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 74482

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Inventory Of Westmorland' in Inventory Of Westmorland, (1936), 28-9

End of official listing