This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PRIORY, WITH ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRIORY, WITH ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1146079

Location

THE PRIORY, WITH ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, HIGHER COOMBE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Donhead St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DONHEAD ST. MARY HIGHER COOMBE ST 82 SE (west side)

6/58 The Priory, with attached walls and railings 6.1.66 GV II

Detached house. Early C17, altered C20. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with coped verges and gable end stone stacks. Two-storey and attic, 3-window. Central blocked doorway with inserted mullioned casement, 3-light recessed chamfered mullioned casement and early C18 two-light mullioned casement to left. Moulded string course to first floor; two 2-light hollow-chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds. Three full gabled attic dormers with 2-light hollow- chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds, coped verges with ball finials. Attached to right part of front is C20 two-storey extension with flat roof. Left return has 2-light mullioned casement. Rear has similar windows with four hipped attic dormers with 2-light wooden casements. Interior not accessible at time of survey (November 1985) but said to contain room with late C17 wainscot panelling. Attached to front are stone dwarf walls with cast-iron railings and octagonal stone gate piers with ball finials, cast-iron gate. Named after a priory of French Carthusian monks who came to Coombe during the French Revolution. (R. Colt Hoare, Modern History of Wiltshire, vol 4, 1829)

Listing NGR: ST8890622910

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colt Hoare, R, 'The History of Modern Wiltshire' in The History of Modern Wiltshire, , Vol. 4, (1829)

National Grid Reference: ST 88906 22910

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146079 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:56:40.

End of official listing