This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WINCOMBE PARK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WINCOMBE PARK

List entry Number: 1146083

Location

WINCOMBE PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Donhead St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 06-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320860

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DONHEAD ST. MARY WINCOMBE PARK ST 82 SE (north side)

6/73 Wincombe Park

II

Country house. 1820s for John Gordon. Painted limestone ashlar, Welsh slate hipped roof, stone stacks. Two-storey, 3-window east front. Continuous glazed verandah on cast-iron posts with trellis frieze, recessed centre bay with double half-glazed margin-pane doors and side-lights to porch, margin-pane French windows to flanking bays. First floor has three 2-light margin-pane, casements, deep eaves to roof. Right return, garden front has margin-pane French windows with side-lights to left and French windows to right, first floor has three 2-light margin-pane casements, to right is 2-storey, 3-bay service range with 6-pane margin-pane sashes and half-glazed door with transom light, 6-pane sashes with margin glazing to first floor. Rear has 25-pane and 20-pane sashes, lean-to brick extension. Left return has French windows and 2-light casements, all with margin-panes, service courtyard to left with 6-panelled doors and sashes. Interior has entrance hall with 6-panelled doors with panelled reveals, open-well stairs with cast-iron rod-balusters and wreathed handrails. Main reception rooms have plaster ceiling cornices with acanthus leaf mouldings, shuttered windows, plain marble fireplaces. Set in wooded parkland with two lakes, said to be fishponds of the Abbess of Shaftesbury, near the source of the River Nadder. (R. Colt Hoare, The Modern History of Wiltshire, Vol 4, 1829)

Listing NGR: ST8825024296

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colt Hoare, R, 'The History of Modern Wiltshire' in The History of Modern Wiltshire, , Vol. 4, (1829)

National Grid Reference: ST 88250 24296

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146083 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 10:42:35.

End of official listing