This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1146222

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wiltshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stapleford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 320487

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAPLEFORD CHURCH STREET SU 03 NE (east side) 3/52 Church of St. Mary 23.3.60. GV I

Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14, C16, C17, 1861 restoration by William Slater. Flint and limestone, tiled roof. Plan: Nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south chapel, north tower and south porch. Gabled C16 porch, formerly 2-storey, with moulded Tudor-arched doorway with square hoodmould, diagonal buttresses, 2- light cusped mullioned window with hoodmould over, coped verge with cross finial, cusped windows to sides. South aisle has C14 two- light ogee window to either side of porch, plain parapet with saddleback coping to lean-to roof. South chapel has good 3-light C14 window with reticulated tracery and pointed hoodmould, low- pitched roof with coping and gargoyles. Nave clerestory has three C16 two-light cusped windows, moulded stone eaves cornice with rosettes. South side of chancel has ovolo-moulded doorway, 2-light Perpendicular window to left and 2-light C19 window to right, east end has large C19 four-light Decorated-style window, trefoiled niche below, probably reset, north side has chamfered lancet and Cl9 two-light window. North aisle has 2-light C16 window with hoodmould to east, two cusped lancets to north, parapet, nave clerestory has two 2-light C16 windows. Two-stage tower has angle buttresses, C14 two-light pointed window to first stage, offset string course to bell stage with ogee lancet and C17 round-arched louvred windows, west side has roll-moulded pointed doorway, south side has datestone 1674, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. West end of nave has C12 clasping buttress to north, Cl9 Decorated-style window, south aisle has cusped lancet to west. Interior: Porch has integral moulded stone seat on west side and Medieval tomb with cross on east side; upper floor removed, fine C12 roll-moulded doorway with zig-zag and nailhead ornament, attached shafts, left has scalloped capital, C19 planked door. Nave has 4-bay Cl9 arch-braced collar roof with tie-beams, rendered walls, tiled floor. Fine 4-bay C12 south arcade with cylindrical piers with enriched multi-scalloped capitals and square abaci, round arches with nailhead or pellet ornament and red painted decoration to soffits. Triple chamfered tower arch with carved head abaci, C19 Perpendicular-style screen. North chapel with triple-chamfered pointed arch. South chapel, probably C14, has ogee cusped piscina and ogee niche over stone coffin against south wall. Chancel arch double chamfered on cylindrical corbels, 2-bay C19 scissor-rafter roof with crown post on tie-beam. Fine C14 three-seat sedilia and piscina with cusped ogee arches and carved finials on south wall. C12 scalloped cylindrical font in south aisle. Cl9 marble pulpit. Good east window stained glass by James Bell, tower glass by Clayton and Bell, 1862, chancel glass by Lavers Barraud and J.S. Beckham. Cl9 south chapel window has Seymour crest. Chest tomb in chancel to Christopher Fleetwood died 1705. (J.P. Adams, Stapleford Parish Guide, 1983; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0704437369

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Adams, J P, Stapleford Parish Guide, (1983)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 07049 37368

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146222 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 09:29:31.

End of official listing