Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146258.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:09:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
South Newton
National Grid Reference:
SU 08788 34298


SOUTH NEWTON WARMINSTER ROAD SU 03 SE (east side), South Newton 3/42 Church of St. Andrew 23.3.60. GV II Anglican parish church. C13 chancel, C14, C15 tower, 1861 rebuilding by T.H. Wyatt. Flint and limestone, tiled roof. Plan: Nave, north aisle, chancel, south vestry, south porch, west tower. Cl9 timber-framed gabled porch with flint nogging, diamond-leaded side windows, shouldered inner doorway with round-arch over tympanum. South side of nave has 2-light cusped C16-style window with hoodmould, either side. Gabled C19 vestry to right has pointed moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould with foliated capitals, chamfered lancet to right. Chancel has pair of C13 lancets to north and south, angle buttresses to east end; three stepped lancets with continuous hoodmould with foliated and carved head terminals. Lean-to organ chamber on north side has pair of lancets and slate roof. North aisle has pitched roof, group of three trefoiled lancets, single trefoiled lancet and C15 two-light Perpendicular window to right. West end of aisle has C19 two-light plate tracery window, set-back buttresses and shouldered doorway to basement. Three-stage west tower has set-back buttresses and string courses, pair of trefoiled lancets to first stage, single lancet to second and 2-light louvred Perpendicular windows to bell- stage, moulded string course to plain parapet with gargoyles, pyramidal tiled roof. Interior: Nave with 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof on stone foliated corbels, plain half-bay collar trusses, flagstone floors. Three-bay north aisle has C13 cylindrical east pier with plain pointed arch, C14 octagonal compound pier and respond to two double-chamfered pointed arches to west, C13-style tower arch with Purbeck marble shafts, C13-style chancel arch on foliated corbels with short marble shafts. C19 pointed arch either side of chancel to organ chamber and to vestry, polychrome tiled floor, painted inscriptions and symbols on walls, C13-style piscina on north wall, 1951 panelled wooden reredos. Fittings: C19 pews, octagonal font in nave, pulpit. Good stained glass in east window by Lavers and Barraud, late C19 glass in north and south chancel windows, glass in nave to Penruddocke family. Nave wall tablets include two by Mitchard of Sarum; to Ellen Ford died 1851 and to Sarah Blackmore died 1849, also Gothic tablet to John Flooks died 1844. Rebuilt at cost of £1,500. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: SU0878834298


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/11784/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].