Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1146396

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Statutory Address: LANCARFFE


Ordnance survey map of LANCARFFE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146396 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 07:45:48.


Statutory Address: LANCARFFE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Helland

National Grid Reference: SX 08252 68948


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HELLAND SX 06 NE 5/42 Lancarffe 6.6.69 GV II*

House. Probably C17 ; extended and re-oriented circa 1680 ; alterations of early C19 and some C20 alterations and additions. Coursed slatestone rubble. Slate roof with ridge tiles ; the early range has gable ends, with gable end stacks and rear lateral stack, all with rubble shafts ; the 1680 range has hipped roof, with scantle slates on the front slope and lead roll to ridge, sharing the gable end stack to rear left and with stack to rear right. Plan: The plan of the original house is uncertain, but what survives of it has a 3- room plan, with 2 outer rooms heated from gable end stacks ; the rear lateral stack of the central room is probably a later addition. The house was oriented north/south, facing west. Circa 1680, the house was re-oriented, east/west, and a new range was built at the right end, forming a crosswing, the right side becoming the entrance front, facing south. This is of 2-room plan, forming a symmetrical front. There is a central entrance to a passage, with a room to right and left, forming the front principal rooms, with the room to right now used as a kitchen. Behind this range, and in the angle to the main range, a stair tower was added, also of circa 1680, with large open-well stair. At the original front, the 1680 range projects beyond the main range and another short wing was added at the original left end, so that the original front has a symmetrical U-plan form. A short wing was added to rear left of the original range. Circa 1930, a range of single storey service rooms was added to the rear, behind the kitchen, and a porch added behind the stair tower, which was extended to form an entrance hall at the rear. Exterior: The original west front of the house forms the garden front. This is 2- storey, a symmetrical 5-bay front on plinth, with projecting shallow 2-storey wing to each end, with a hipped roof over each wing, and 3 central bays. The central bays have C19 16-pane sashes with cambered stone arches at first floor, ground floor has central early C20 French windows and C19 20-pane sash with cambered arch to each side. Wing to left has 24-pane sash at ground floor and 16-pane sash at first floor. The right side is the 1680 south entrance front. This is a symmetrical 5-bay 2- storey front, all windows are circa 1680 40-pane sashes with very small panes, thick glazing bars which are bolection-moulded on the inside and flat-faced outside, with segmental stone arches. Central double C19 half-glazed doors with segmental hood. Three S-shaped ties. Attached to right is the single storey service range, with C20 window and 30-pane sash with thick glazing bars. Above the windows are 3 pointed arched recesses with slate cills ; these seem to be too small for bee-boles, but are south-facing. To right, a pointed arched doorway through a screen wall. The left side of the main range has C19 8-pane sash at first floor to right ; similar sash at ground and first floor in the front wing. At the rear, there is a small 2-storey wing to right, with C19 12-pane sash at ground and first floor ; at the inner side, the first floor level is slate-hung, with 2-light C20 window, small 12-pane sash at ground floor. The rear of the main range has 2 windows, ground floor has 2 C19 24- pane sashes with cambered arches, first floor has two 20-pane sashes with cambered arches. Small 12-pane sash at ground floor to left and external stack. The rear stair tower is in 2 builds, with a straight joint between. The stair tower has 12- pane sash at first floor. The rear part has gabled porch with re-used granite doorway with hollow-chamfered segmental arch (removed from the stable) and C20 door ; C20 window to left. At first floor a 2-light 6-pane casement with L hinges, and small 12-pane sash at attic level. The stair tower has a hipped roof. Interior: The interior retains an unusually complete set of bolection-moulded panelled rooms. In the 1680 range, the room to front left has complete bolection- moulded panelling, with moulded plaster cornice ; the panelling is brought forward over the windows. Bolection-moulded chimneypiece with pulvinated frieze and moulded mantel. The passage has bolection-moulded panelling ; originally with door symmetrically placed to right and left, each with bolection-moulded surround and 2- panelled door ; the doorway to right has been moved to left, and is now the entrance to the kitchen. Most of the doors are the original, others are C19 copies. The stair hall has an open-well stair, with twisted balusters, and scroll carved string with carved flowers ramped dado panelling with pilasters. Over the stair hall there is a coved plaster cornice with acanthus and flowers. On the half-handing, a doorcase to rear with broken pediment with cherub. At first floor, the panelling is probably of C19, copied from the original, one doorcase retaining an early carved cherub's head with folded wings. In the 1680 range, there are two rooms with complete bolection-moulded panelling and chimneypiece, with 2 small dressing-rooms at the right end ; the windows have segmental arches with key blocks, and the panelling is slightly varied over the chimneypiece. All bolection-moulded doorcases with 2- panelled doors. These rooms were originally interconnected, now blocked with copied panelling. Over the original range, there is one small room to front which also has bolection-moulded panelling, and chimneypiece. In the main range, the ground floor room to left was originally the lower end kitchen, with an oven in the gable end fireplace, now removed. Over the main range, the roof retains the trusses from late C17, with principal rafters halved and pegged at the apex, cambered collars halved and pegged to the principals ; trenched purlins. This house is unusual in retaining a fine set of rooms with panelling, and the complete set of late C17 sashes on the south front are unusually fine and very rare.

Listing NGR: SX0825268948


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67529

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing