CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147111

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147111 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 04:53:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Black Notley

National Grid Reference: TL 76147 20722

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 SE BLACK NOTLEY CHURCH ROAD

5/55 Church of St. Peter 21/12/67 and St. Paul

CV II*

Parish church. C12 Nave. Chancel possibly C12 but may have been rebuilt C15/C16. Early C16 south porch possibly mid C14 west bell turret C19 north Vestry, organ chamber and much restoration. Flint rubble walls with stone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs with ornate ridge tiles. Vertically boarded bell turret with shingle octagonal spirelet, 2 light sounding louvres to each face. 4 circular holes to either side of louvres. Exterior. Chancel with red brick angle buttresses, one with stone panels with the date 1682 and the letters I.P. C20 3 light east window with top tracery and 2 centred head and label. North wall, gabled north vestry with C19 2 light window, top tracery, 2 centred head and label. Vertically boarded door to west wall with 2 centred head and label. West of the vestry is a restored C15 2 light window with tracery in a square head. South wall has a C19/C20 2 light window with tracery in a 2 centred head with label. Nave south wall to east has a window similar to that in the chancel but larger with different tracery, the internal details are restored C14. There are 2 C12 round headed windows much restored. Between these windows is the C12 plain semi-circular head to doorway, again restored. The door is C19/C20 but with good C12 ironwork affixed to it. Remains of a third C12 window are visible to the east. The north wall east window is similar to that in the vestry and there are 2 C12 windows similar to those in the south wail. A small red brick loop to the east of the east window originally gave light to the rood stairs. The north doorway is not visible outside. West wall window C15 of 3 lights with vertical tracery in a 4 centred head. There is a C19 2 centred arch light with label above. South porch with crenellated wall plate. Early moulded side purlins, moulded tie beams and principal rafters. Chamfered common rafters, all main timbers with foliate stops. C19 flint base to 6 light side walls. Timber seats. Carved spandrels to segmental arch with cusped sidelights. Moulded bargeboards to gable. Stoup east of doorway, a rough stone basin in triangular recess. Possibly C16. Interior. Chancel. Boarded C15 7 cant roof, moulded wall plates. Carved bosses at angles. Moulded tie beam. Piscina C19 with ogee head and 2 quartrefoil drains. Sedilia, C14 segmental pointed head, stop chamfered jambs - restored. C19 door to north vestry with segmental pointed arch and label. C19 wrought iron altar rails. C20 stained glass to east window after 1939-45 bomb damage. Grafitti dated 1699 to north wall window cill. No chancel arch. Tie beam with carved spandrels to braces, stone corbels with ornate fleur-de-lis rood. Boarded upper arch. Chancel screen of 5 bays moulded top plate with bosses. Panelled base, each bay of 2 lights with tracery over. Double matching doors to centre. Nave. North wall oak 2 centred arch doorway. Brick stairs to former rood loft. Blocked C12 north doorway. C14 piscina in south wall, cinquefoiled pointed head, chamfered and hollow chamfered jambs with broach stops, quatrefoil drain. C19 carved panel pulpit, octagonal on stone base. Roof of 7 cants with scissors over. Moulded and crennellated wall plates. 2 sunk chamfered tie beams. Bell turret. 3 bays to east, the centre bay with arched braces forming a 4 centred arch. Cross braces to other bays. The square upper part has curved struts on the north and south sides and a pyramidal roof with spirelet. For detailed drawing see C.A. Hewett Church Carpentry Plate XXIV. 2 hatchments, one each to north and south walls. Small stone altar to north wall of bell turret. Heavy dug out chest with plain iron band hinges. Wall monuments to W. Rayment 1766, E. Notledge 1879, Thos. Dent 1741, Thos. Simpson 1836. 4 floor slabs to the Notledge, Wydental, Coker and Pylae families. C19 stone octagonal font with quatrefoils to panels. Small painting on south wall. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL7614720722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114950

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982)

End of official listing