WEAR FARMHOUSE AND KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1147196

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1988

Statutory Address: WEAR FARMHOUSE AND KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEAR FARMHOUSE AND KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 02:56:05.

Location

Statutory Address: WEAR FARMHOUSE AND KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bishopsteignton

National Grid Reference: SX 88961 73094

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPSTEIGNTON SX 87 SE

9/16 Wear Farmhouse and kitchen garden walls to the north 23.8.55 (formerly listed as Wear)

II*

Farmhouse. Probably early C17 with late C17/early C18 remodelling, although the origins of the house may be earlier. Rendered stone ; slate roof, gabled at left end, hipped to front of right crosswing ; main block with left end stack and projecting rear lateral stack, projecting stack to crosswing, end stack to kitchen wing. Plan: Courtyard plan. Single depth south-facing main range, overlooking the Teign estuary, with 2 principal high quality rooms, one on either side of a through passage, crosswing at the right (east) end. A north wing, at right angles to the main range (rear left) contains the stair and a service room with a kitchen wing, parallel to the main range and external to the courtyard, adjoining on the left (west). The courtyard, behind the main range, is enclosed at the back by a very altered farmbuilding to the north. Complex evolution. The earliest surviving features seen at time of survey (1987) are in the east crosswing which has a circa early C17 roof structure but the main range may be as early or earlier, remodelled in the later C17 and early C18. The north wing is unheated, which suggests that the present kitchen wing, although plain in detail, may also be of a C17 date. The house is built on a site which slopes sharply up to the north and there are massive retaining walls to the kitchen garden at the north. Exterior: 2 storeys. Fine symmetrical 7-bay south front with rusticated quoins and an early C19 6-bay glazed verandah on posts. Wide C18 or early C19 front door in centre. Complete set of late C17/early C18 high transomed windows in 2 groups of 3 with square leaded panes and iron casements complete with leaded panes and window furniture. The crosswing, to the right, has 2 similar first floor and 2 ground floor windows and rusticated quoins. The right (east) return of the crosswing has a shallow projecting lateral stack. 2 ground floor 3-light late C17/early C18 windows with square leaded panes and 2 similar first floor windows, one in a gabled dormer, and one late C19/early C20 4-pane sash at the left ; C20 conservatory and. door to ground floor left. A tall wall between the north end of the crosswing and a farm building to the north has a doorway to the courtyard. Interior: Notable interior. The passage in the main range has a circa 1700 rear door, the left hand room is a high quality C17 parlour with ovolo-moulded stopped crossbeams, the room has been reduced in size to the rear by a later axial partition ; C20 chimneypiece said to conceal larger, earlier fireplace. The right hand room is an outstanding early C18 with a decorated plaster ceiling with quatrefoil ornament in big panels ; pretty rounded window seats and panelled shutters ; C19 marble chimneypiece. There has been some re-partioning of the first floor rooms but a door of circa 1700 suggests that there was a large chamber of this date in the main range. Interior of crosswing not inspected at time of survey (1987), said to be modernized but the old list description refers to panelling and a marble chimneypiece which may still survive. The attic storey was used for accommodation, it is still partly floored and partitioned and was formerly plastered. Roof: The east crosswing has pegged collar rafter roof trusses of an early C17 character (possibly crucks of some type), the collars lap-dovetailed into the principals. The circa late C17 roof over the main range has collar rafter pegged trusses the collars halved and pegged on to the principals. The remainder of the house is roofed with C19 king post and strut trusses. Tall stone rubble walls to the kitchen garden are included in the listing. Fine exterior and interior features.

Listing NGR: SX8896173094

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 85678

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing