This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1147397

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, LITTLE WAKERING ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Barling Magna

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jan-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 123081

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 98 NW 12/38

BARLING MAGNA, LITTLE WAKERING, LITTLE WAKERING ROAD, Church of St. Mary the Virgin

(Formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

27.7.59

GV II*

Parish Church. C12 Nave and Chancel. C15 extension to Chancel. Circa 1425 west tower. South porch of C15/C16 origin rebuilt C19. C19 and C20 restorations. Mainly mixed rubble walls. West Tower of coursed ragstone rubble. Red plain tiled roofs, ornate ridge tiles and terracotta crosses to apices, shingled octagonal spire. Chancel, buttress to south east angle and buttressed chimney stack to south wall. East window C19 of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery over, moulded 4-centred arch and label, north wall C12 restored round headed window, original rear arch and splays, south wall C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, square head and label. Nave, north wall, buttress to east, restored C12 round headed window to west and far western window C15 of 2 cinquefoiled lights square head and label. Below this window is a blocked opening with segmental arch. South wall, 2 C19 windows of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights, quatrefoils over, 2 centred arches and moulded labels with head stops. South door, partly restored C14, moulded 2-centred arch, label with head stops. C19 gabled porch, timber frame on rubble wall, pointed segmental archway, 2-centred arches to sidelights. Return walls each with 5 trefoiled lights. West tower:- Of 3 stages, south eastern stair turret raised above crenellations, square plan base, octagonal upper stages. Chequered flint flushwork to crenellations, moulded band with gargoyles. Moulded bands to first and second stages. Angle buttresses. Plinth. Each face of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, square heads and moulded labels. Second stage small north, south and west windows, cinquefoiled, square heads, moulded labels. First stage west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery over, 2-centred head, remains of label, flanking it are 4 niches, the upper pair with pointed heads, the lower pair with cinquefoiled ogee arches under square heads and labels, shields to spandrels. C20 statues in lower niches. Octagonal spire. West doorway, 2-centred arch in a square head, worn label, shields to spandrels, C15 door of 2 folds, nailed overlapping battens, strap hinges. Flanking the doorway are 2 square sunk panels, much worn each enclosing a shield, one for John Wakering, Bishop of Norwich, (1416-1425) the other for Anne, Countess of Stafford. Interior:- Chancel:- Roof of 7 cants. C19 coloured tiled floor. C19 stained glass windows. C15 piscina chamfered jambs, cinquefoiled head, restored C13 projecting octofoil drain on moulded corbel. C19 moulded wood altar rails. North wall, C12 round headed window with traces of painting. On east splay the Nativity under an arch on west splay a figure under an arch C12. Below this window is a C14 doorway, blocked with splays outwards, 2-centred arch of 2 moulded orders. Wall monument to Rev. Joseph Commins M.A. 1868. C19 choirstalls with wrought iron front panels. Chamfered segmental arch, blocked, to south wall. Cassons Organ "The Positive'". By the south west window is a board relating "Chancel restoration by St. Bartholomew's Hospital 1875". Chancel arch, partly restored, 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders, original moulded capitals and bases. Floor slab at foot of Chancel steps, Bradford Bury, Gent of Wakering Hall 10 July 1675 aged 48 years. Nave:- Roof of 7 cants and 2 bays with 2 cambered tie beams supporting octagonal crown posts, roll moulded capitals and bases, 5 pairs of rafters per bay. Stone octagonal pulpit, moulded base and rim, trefoiled panels, moulded capitals and bases to angle shafts, circular stem with scroll brackets, stone steps. C19/C20 stained glass to windows. North wall rood loft stairs with lower and upper 2-centre arched doorways, the end of the rood beam below upper doorway. Moulded 2-centred blocked archway to north wall, C13 moulded capitals and bases to jamb shafts, now used as a war memorial. White Ensign flag which once adorned The Cenotaph, placed here 1931. In the east jamb of the south doorway is a stoup, funnel shaped recess, circular bowl with moulded base and rim. C20 Font, heavy round bowl, splayed to octagonal base, octagonal stem and base slab. West tower. Tower arch, 2-centred of 2 chamfered orders, attached semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Leaning against the tower arch is a timber whipping post with 2 iron arm bands and handcuffs. Painted board with coat of arms and the names Francis Asplin and Wiliam Hatch, Churchwardens 1769. Stained glass to west window. Stair turret doorway, C15 chamfered 2-centred arch, nailed boarded door with strap hinges and scutcheon plate, said to be 2 more similar doorways and doors one with a ring handle, in the tower. Said to be 3 bells all by John Waylett 1707. Said to be a C15 locker in wall of stair turret. The Tower was built by John Wakering of Barrow Hall, Bishop of Norwich 1416-1425 with help from Anne Countess of Stafford, said to be as a thank offering for his safe return from the Battle of Agincourt 1416. RCHM 1 (Little Wakering).

Listing NGR: TQ9345588326

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/22742

National Grid Reference: TQ 93455 88326

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:11:53.

End of official listing