NICHOL'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1147667

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Statutory Address: NICHOL'S FARMHOUSE, BRAINTREE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NICHOL'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147667 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 01:51:23.

Location

Statutory Address: NICHOL'S FARMHOUSE, BRAINTREE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Shalford

National Grid Reference: TL 72787 28352

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 72 NW SHALFORD BRAINTREE ROAD (east side)

3/45 Nichol's Farmhouse 2.5.53

GV II

House. Late medieval, altered in C16 and early C17. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing SE, with originally storeyed parlour/solar bay at left end, early C16 or earlier. 3-bay extension to right, early C17, with axial stack at the junction. Hall range of one storey with attics, right extension of 2 storeys. Ground floor, 5 C20 casements. Upper floor, 3 C20 casements, of which one is in a gabled dormer. C20 door. 6 octagonal shafts, rebuilt. The left bay of the hall house has a chamfered axial beam with step stops, plain joists of horizontal section, and a shutter groove and diamond mortices for an unglazed window at the end. The rear wallplate of the hall exhibits evidence of a large unglazed window, and is smoke-blackened. The mid-C16 inserted floor consists of a transverse beam, chamfered with step stops, supported on independent posts, longitudinal square joists chamfered with step stops, and original boards. On one side the middle part of the beam is left unchamfered, indicating the former existence of a timber-framed chimney. The roof is ceiled, without access, so this part of the building cannot be accurately dated. C20 grate in large wood-burning hearth on ground floor, blocked hearth with depressed arch of plastered brick on upper floor. Jowled posts, inserted framed doorway in one tiebeam, other severed. The right extension has jowled posts, some exposed close studding, and primary straight bracing. Chamfered axial beams with plain joists of horizontal section. Large wood-burning hearth on ground floor, hearth with depressed brick arch (originally plastered, now stripped) on first floor. Unusual internal door with ventilation slots to rear of stack, C17 or C18. The name derives from John the son of Nicholas, recorded in court rolls from 1304 to 1326, and Thomas, John and Margery Fitz-Nicols or Nicholas, who successively held the estate from 1351 to 1376. Nichols was formerly a manor (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of Essex, 1768, II, 38). RCHM 3.

Listing NGR: TL7278728352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115564

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 38

End of official listing