This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SIGNAL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SIGNAL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1147735

Location

SIGNAL HOUSE, 41, COURT END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Rochford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Foulness

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 123133

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FOULNESS COURT END TR 09 SW 9/110 No. 41 Signal House 29.10.86 II Cottage. Circa 1800. Timber framed and weatherboarded. Grey slate roof. Left ridge and forward off centre right gault brick chimney stacks, that to right plastered. Single storey. 2 windows, to left a 2-light casement with glazing bars, to right a small paned vertically sliding sash. There are 2 doors, each with 2 vertical upper lights, one to right the other between the windows. Pentice boards over. The frame appears to be intact with a side purlin ridge board roof. There are 6 rooms. The 2 chimney stacks have back to back fireplaces, one with a C19 cast iron grate and surround. Original dining room cupboard. A line of 28 coastal signal stations from North Foreland to Lands End was established by the Admiraltry in 1794, the line was extended to Great Yarmouth the following year and subsequently on to cover most of the coastline. A signal house is shown in the position of this building on the Map of Foulness by J. Grist 1801. There were 2 signal houses on Foulness, the other at Burwood was demolished late C19. In 1811 the Officer (Lieutenant) in occupation of this house was John Lundin. The equipment comprised a 50 foot mast with a 30 foot top mast and 30 foot crossyard from which could be displayed from 10 hoists, one red flag, one blue pendant and 4 black balls, which could be arranged through 145 combinations, each of which was related to an arbitrary signal. The signal stations were closed in 1815 at the end of the War. This is one of the very few survivors, one other presumed station is at Bradwell-on-Sea. R.W. Crump. Foulness Archaeological Society, The First lO Years, 1975-85. October 1985, unpublished May 1986.

Listing NGR: TR0247793772

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Crump, R W , Foulness Archaeological Society The First 10 Years 1975-85
Other
Title: Map of Foulness Source Date: 1801 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: TR 02477 93772

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:05:26.

End of official listing