Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1147928.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:01:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Kesteven (District Authority)
Gunby and Stainby
National Grid Reference:
SK 91273 21554


GUNBY AND STAINBY MAIN STREET SK 92 SW Gunby 8/104 Church of 20.9.66 St. Nicholas G.V. II Parish church. C15, 1869 by R. Coad. Ashlar and squared coursed limestone rubble. Slate roofs with stone coped gables, decorative kneelers, crosses fleury. Western tower, nave, chancel, vestry. C15 ashlar 3 stage tower has bell moulded plinth, 2 string courses, battlemented parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles, one missing. To belfry stage 2 light louvred openings with cusped heads to the lights. The 2 light west window has trefoil heads to the lights, set in concave chamfered surround with hood mould. On the north side an angled stair turret up to second stage. The nave of 1869 has 3 stepped buttresses, a north door in moulded pointed surround with angle shafts and a pair of 2 light windows. The vestry has a 3 light window with ogee heads to the lights. The chancel, in squared limestone rubble, has a 3 light C19 east window with rectilinear tracery and a similar 2 light south window. The south side of the nave has 3 three light C19 windows, the central one having ogee heads to the lights, the outer pair matching the north side with cusped heads and quatrefoils over. Interior. Tall narrow late C15 tower arch with octagonal responds and capitals, single chamfered arch, hollow moulded continuous surround. C19 chancel arch with moulded pointed head, continuous surround, hood mould with human head label stops. All fittings, including font, are C19 with Gothic woodwork including tower and chancel screens, font cover and reredos by Rev. W. E. Thorold, c.1880. Pair of commandment boards.

Listing NGR: SK9127321554


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/07417/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence G. Onyon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].