This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SMALL STONE BUILDING IN GARDEN OF COOMBS HAY (COOMBS HAY NOT INCLUDED)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SMALL STONE BUILDING IN GARDEN OF COOMBS HAY (COOMBS HAY NOT INCLUDED)

List entry Number: 1148031

Location

SMALL STONE BUILDING IN GARDEN OF COOMBS HAY (COOMBS HAY NOT INCLUDED), BURRE CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bakewell

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Dec-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 468068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BAKEWELL

SK2268 BURRE CLOSE 831-1/5/35 (North side (off)) 20/05/74 Small stone building in garden of Coombs Hay (Coombs Hay not included) (Formerly Listed as: BASLOW ROAD Small building in field north east of Castle Hill House)

II

Former water supply pump or filter house. Dated 1831. For the Duke of Rutland. Ashlar sandstone; flat roof now with corrugated sheeting. Rectangular plan in single cell. EXTERIOR: single-storey. Basket-arched doorway with late C20 door; sunken oval date panel above. Moulded cornice and 2-course ashlar parapet. Square, high-level window openings to each return. INTERIOR: ashlar lined and with semi-octagonal imposts from which spring the ribs of a vaulted ceiling with rosette boss. No original machinery. Described in 1847 as "waterhouse with mains pipes and other works". Formed part of Bakewell's first piped water supply from the Duke's reservoirs near Manners Wood. Became the property of Local Board in 1872; now in a private garden. (Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society: Challenger G P: 1983-: 68-71).







Listing NGR: SK2201668939

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Challenger, G P, 'Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society' in Journal of the Bakewell and District Historical Society, (1983), 68-71

National Grid Reference: SK 22016 68939

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1148031 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:58:21.

End of official listing